Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SLK's paint color as shown on the sticker behind the driver door, is "590". There is no "C". Does it have the nano ceramic coating ? How else do I tell ?

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
ADB said:
My SLK's paint color as shown on the sticker behind the driver door, is "590". There is no "C". Does it have the nano ceramic coating ? How else do I tell ?
IIRC all of them comes painted with the new nano paint technology, although I'm not impressed, seems to chip easier than my other vehicles that doesn't have it.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
ADB said:
Look under the TSB (technical Service Bulletin) thread that has been stickied in this forum. I believe all R171 has the nanotechnology clear coating with or without the C designation. Mine had the C designation and it was built in Feb 2006.

It might help to let us know which country and state/province you are located.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
Z06 paint

I thought my paint on my SLK 350 looked very nice. But I was surprised it wasn't even smoother with less "orange peel" look. Since several members have compared the SLK to the Corvette, I took a look at a Z06 today. Dealer wanted $15000 over sticker of $71000+.

I was amazed at the paint job. And NOT in a good way. The SLK looks fabulous by comparison. The Corvette had very noticeable "orange peel" effect.

Now I am pleased with my car choice AND its paint job.

(the Corvette did have 500 hp though :) )

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Ynot said:
IIRC all of them comes painted with the new nano paint technology, although I'm not impressed, seems to chip easier than my other vehicles that doesn't have it.
Ynot, the "nanotech" "cermaic paint on our cars (which is an example of a technological enhancement/change blown all out of proportion by the marketing team!), does NOT do anything for rock chips (not does it claim to).

It's "benefit" is supposed to be in reduction of minor swirls (i.e. very light scratches), like caused by a cleaning cloth.

In my opinion, even that is suspect. Buyt boy it sounded hot in the brochure, didn't it? ;)

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
bloflin said:
Ynot, the "nanotech" "cermaic paint on our cars (which is an example of a technological enhancement/change blown all out of proportion by the marketing team!), does NOT do anything for rock chips (not does it claim to).

It's "benefit" is supposed to be in reduction of minor swirls (i.e. very light scratches), like caused by a cleaning cloth.

In my opinion, even that is suspect. Buyt boy it sounded hot in the brochure, didn't it? ;)
thanks for the clarification, yes from the brochures, it sounded as if it not only stopped rock chips but bullets as well. :D I guess we as customers are expecting too much... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
SLK55 AMG
152 Posts
I got sucked in on the nano Hype and was expecting it to ne fabulous . What a let down.......Can't see it makes ANY difference at all.

·
Registered
slk 200
56 Posts
I agree it does chip in fact it's more like chunky chips rather than fries size on the R170 - though Chip's away did a good job on my door with road debrie.
Thind is it's all about the colour - black shows up all the chips but can be patched up silver does not show too much - but is impossible to touch up. I wonder if there is a colour which shows the chips less prominantely - blue?
Gunndy

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
Gunndy said:
I agree it does chip in fact it's more like chunky chips rather than fries size on the R170 - though Chip's away did a good job on my door with road debrie.
Thind is it's all about the colour - black shows up all the chips but can be patched up silver does not show too much - but is impossible to touch up. I wonder if there is a colour which shows the chips less prominantely - blue?
Gunndy
Nope. Blue sucks too! Rock chips are showing up everywhere! Not just on the spoiler, but the hood, a-pillar, etc. This is truly my only real gripe about this car. Blue metallic seems impossible to cover up. Actually, I think white is probably the best in terms of using touch up paint. Since it's not metalic, it doesn't stand out as much when you touch it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told today by a Mercedes service manager that Mercedes series add the "C" when ceramic paint has been added to the range ... that is, when there is a change from no ceramic to ceramic. He also claimed all of the new SLK series had ceramic paint.
My R171 SLK does not have a "C", the latest SLKs do.
Any thoughts ? Is there any way to test if I have ceramic paint ?
I'm in Sydney Australia.

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
ADB, From what I remember reading in Benz World (Nov., '03), the first application of the nanoparticle clearcoat was to be at the end of Dec., 2003 (did that really mean Jan., 2004?). The first car to get it was the SL class. The revamped '05 C class (spring '04 introduction) was to be next. It was my understanding that all 2005 MB models would have the ceramic paint. Dinoman

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
Ynot and Bloflin, There appears to be an undercurrent of honesty under all the hype in the SLK brochure. To paraphrase the description of the nanoparticle ceramic clearcoat: "The next time someone tells you that beauty is only skin deep, you'll know that it's a lot thinner than that." Not having the brochure in front of me, I know that the quote isn't totally accurate, but you get the gist of it. I would have preferred something more durable as regards chips. We all know how to prevent swirls. Chips are another matter entirely. Dinoman

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Dinoman said:
Ynot and Bloflin, There appears to be an undercurrent of honesty under all the hype in the SLK brochure. To paraphrase the description of the nanoparticle ceramic clearcoat: "The next time someone tells you that beauty is only skin deep, you'll know that it's a lot thinner than that." Not having the brochure in front of me, I know that the quote isn't totally accurate, but you get the gist of it. I would have preferred something more durable as regards chips. We all know how to prevent swirls. Chips are another matter entirely. Dinoman
Yes, hype is a fact used and blown out of proportion to it's true value. But it is not a lie.

I believe that the paint & materials chemist at MB (or whomever they get their paint from), did in fact make some technological improvements (that is, they are not lying).

Just the marketing team takes it and runs with it (especially since "nano" is on the secret society of marketeers hot word list). ;)

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
233 Posts
Ynot said:

Agreed; I've never encountered this sort of chipping and I live in an urban area
devoid of much gravel. Does the U.S. have any service comparable to the U.K.'s
Chips Away (as opposed to the U.S. Chips Ahoy)?

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
I would have thought the U.K. would have a service called "Goodbye Mr. Chips"! Dinoman

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
212 Posts
Someone said that he saw no dif betwen the old and new paint.

That's because you don't know the "old "black paint which was scratched by just looking at it !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts