Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
All the U.S. spec. German cars that I've owned came with rear fogs.
i have owned a few 123 300d , a 190e 85 ,and some much older 110 cars, spent my all life as a MB mechanic [ retired ] and saw very few cars with rear fog lights .some german gray markets had that red light at rear bumper , it was not legal in the us .on the other hand , the newer cars may have them .

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,629 Posts
I guess then, we should define what a true German rear fog light system is. I doubt the US DOT would allow any non-standard rear lighting system on the back of a car legal for road use.

Kevin

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
2,315 Posts
First of all remove the drivers tail light cluster and see if there is a bulb in the brakelight socket . Not all W124 had reversing lights over in the usa so if you find no bulbs in there it wont have fog light . The fog light switch needs to be pulled out to the the stop then turned clockwise 2 digets to activate fog light they one have one rear fog light,, but you could modify if need be to have both work at the same time by fitting an extra bulb holder and piggy back .a wire from existing fog light .

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess then, we should define what a true German rear fog light system is. I doubt the US DOT would allow any non-standard rear lighting system on the back of a car legal for road use.

Kevin
KEVIN , it s not just German , it is european .a lot of dense fog out there , a bright rear RED light make you more visible to the cars behind you .the old MB s had a separate light bolted to the bumper .the newer ones is part of the tail lights .

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
KEVIN , it s not just German , it is european .a lot of dense fog out there , a bright rear RED light make you more visible to the cars behind you .the old MB s had a separate light bolted to the bumper .the newer ones is part of the tail lights .
A la 930

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,336 Posts
I can confirm the rear foglight even though the same bulb (as the brake light) shines brighter and maybe a shade on the pink side of the color spectrum.

I tried to read up on FMVSS but only could sort out having fog light on both sides is illegal? (Question mark because I’m not sure).

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
4,986 Posts
Legal and in use here, in the GWN.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,766 Posts
Strictly FYI, but in the olden days US spec MBs did NOT have the factory fog light. This changed somewhere around 1986.

In Europe you could have a integrated rear fog light as far back as the W116, or perhaps even the facelifted dash 8 models.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,766 Posts
Ah yes, those were the good ol' Hella rear fogs. I used to call them the red sugar cube.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Strictly FYI, but in the olden days US spec MBs did NOT have the factory fog light. This changed somewhere around 1986.

In Europe you could have a integrated rear fog light as far back as the W116, or perhaps even the facelifted dash 8 models.
My 1976 280C (114) has rear fogs.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,415 Posts
all our volvos had them, going back to a 1987 240.

all 3 W124's, a 1990, 1993, and 1994, that second notch on the pullout was really really stiff, probably from disuse, and I had to replace the knobs and STILL had trouble getting the rear fogs on until I'd done it a bunch of times.

Only turn them on in heavy rain/fog when there's noone behind you. If a car comes up behind you, turn them off again once its close enough.

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
I know it's not just a German thing, but wanted the discussion to focus on German cars so maybe we can figure out what this 'remnant' one bulb thing we have in NA versus what a full German rear fog system is.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
I can confirm the rear foglight even though the same bulb (as the brake light) shines brighter and maybe a shade on the pink side of the color spectrum.

I tried to read up on FMVSS but only could sort out having fog light on both sides is illegal? (Question mark because I’m not sure).
The bulb on the NA models is the same as the rest of the bulbs in the strip as far as color spectrum.....bulbs interchange.

Kevin

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
On the 124 the rear fog bulb is located on the innermost lens/space closest to the tag on the left hand side. There's no bulb in this location on the right hand side. When the rear fogs are on, there's a lot of brightness coming from the left hand side cause there are two bulbs that are throwing light. This (fog) bulb is also brighter. The whole ensemble is bright enough to be a bit annoying when following.

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
Brighter than the running light if I remember, but not brighter than the brake light. It's not a special bulb, as it will match some of the other bulbs in the strip.

Kevin

·
Registered
38 Posts
As has been said above if the grips in the knob have worn off the knob will naturally come off in your hand when you try to pull it out further. I would try a new knob. Your problem has nothing to do with fuses or relays - and besides there are NO relays involved.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
2,315 Posts
Power is taken from front fog lights up in to a Lamp Failure Monitoring unit a type of relay through this up to the switch and then on to the rear fog lights via a fuse ...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts