Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My switch only had one stage (pull back) after light switch was turned on. I thought something was wrong with the switch so I bought another one and it's the same, only one stage. My front fogs turn on after the initial pull but they don't pull back any further. Nothing happens to my rear lights....no additional lights turn on.
In the owner's manual it says, first stage front fogs, second stage, rear fogs also.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1990 500 SL,1995 E 320
125 Posts
My switch only had one stage (pull back) after light switch was turned on. I thought something was wrong with the switch so I bought another one and it's the same, only one stage. My front fogs turn on after the initial pull but they don't pull back any further. Nothing happens to my rear lights....no additional lights turn on.
In the owner's manual it says, first stage front fogs, second stage, rear fogs also.
Thanks in advance.
Have you tried removing the left taillight assembly cover on the inside the trunk? It should have an extra bulb there, on the bottom. My 1990 did and my 1995 does.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried removing the left taillight assembly cover on the inside the trunk? It should have an extra bulb there, on the bottom. My 1990 did and my 1995 does.
It's not an issue with the bulb. The switch does not go past the first stage {pulling back after light is turned on). If I pull back further I end up with the light Knob in my hand. This is true of both switches that I have. Do I have two bad light switches?
Yes, I do have the bulb.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,336 Posts
Our '91 420SEL doesn't have a rear fog light. Our '92 190E does...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1990 500 SL,1995 E 320
125 Posts
It's not an issue with the bulb. The switch does not go past the first stage {pulling back after light is turned on). If I pull back further I end up with the light Knob in my hand. This is true of both switches that I have. Do I have two bad light switches?
Yes, I do have the bulb.
then yes, sounds like the switch is bad. Your title made it seem like you were asking if yours had rears, and if the extra bulb/bulb socket is there on the left side, then yes, you do.

·
Registered
1990 500 SL,1995 E 320
125 Posts
Also, when does the orange light on the knob illuminate? If yours is equipped with rear fogs, the orange light should illuminate when the rear fogs are on, not the fronts.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then yes, sounds like the switch is bad. Your tile made it seem like you were asking if your had rears, and if the extra bulb/bulb socket is there on the left side, then yes, you do.
Yes, I also wanted to make sure that rear fogs were part of the lighting system of my car.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,766 Posts
Before you condemn the switch, try pulling really hard on it.

IF the fogs were never or rarely used, the switch can be stiff to pull into the fog position.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before you condemn the switch, try pulling really hard on it.

IF the fogs were never or rarely used, the switch can be stiff to pull into the fog position.
I did/do and I end up with the knob in hand. I'm gonna try with needle nose and a very small dab of lube,

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,766 Posts
The detents on the headlight switch are very distinctive. If you already tried pulling to the point that the knob comes off, the problem probably lies elsewhere. IF the orange light comes on, the switch is fine.

First, fuses. If the car still has the original fuses replace them ALL with the updated Flosser copper core type. Many weird electrical gremlins have been solved just with getting the right fuses. Just because your current fuses "look OK" does not mean they are OK. The factory fuses develop hairline cracks invisible to the human eye.

Second, relays. Make sure your relays are seated properly and do not show obvious signs of trouble (swelling, warping, brown marks)

Third, Check that you hear the relay click when illuminate low/high beams and fog.

Fourth, check wiring. The rear lights are known to sometimes get a bad ground OR develop loose bulb holders.

Fifth, only use Philips or Sylvania/OSRAM bulbs. Nothing else works as good.

Sixth, check the tail light housing seals. IF moisture gets in, it will develop issues.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only have one stop as I pull back on my switches. No two clicks/detents just one.
I'll check everything else.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,629 Posts
Both my cars are able to light up that one light bub in the rear, by pulling into the extra detent on the headlight switch. I don't know why you don't have that detent....and you don't have to pull that hard.

Kevin

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both my cars are able to light up that one light bub in the rear, by pulling into the extra detent on the headlight switch. I don't know why you don't have that detent....and you don't have to pull that hard.

Kevin
Maybe because I have faulty switches???

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
Maybe because I have faulty switches???
Well, that's the conundrum isn't it? You said you bought a new switch....was it by VIN# or just an aftermarket switch and from whom?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, as that extra bulb may only help you from being rear ended in fog if all the stars are in alignment and you just won a $1,000 scratch ticket.....

Kevin

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,336 Posts
Ask experts and likely they will say rear fog light is more valuable than front fog light, in fog.

As I mentioned before:

Our '91 does not have it. Can pull switch out two detents and nothing happens. No light in middle of switch, no marking indicating function exists, and no bulb socket in the left lamp in trunk.

Our '92 has it. Pull switch out two detents and bright light on center of switch. Marking nearby shows both functions. Extra bulb socket on left lamp in trunk but not on right side.

May have been a mid 1991 model change or something. Both ours are US models sold in CA...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
W124, 230E 5 speeds Manual, 1987
139 Posts
Bro. before turning the light switch pull it back to the maximum at the rest position and then turn it. that s how I switch my foglights without ending up having the knob in my hand.

·
Registered
1990 500 SL,1995 E 320
125 Posts
The plastic knobs also lose their “strength” too and may disconnect before fully engaging the second detent. I’ve replaced three that didn’t pull the rear fog lights on 4 of my 201/124/129. I know you’ve swapped the switches, but the knobs could be faulty as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why the emphasis on rear fogs:
I've never seen fog here in Miami Beach however driving back and forth to Sarasota, I've encountered serious rain. Anybody that's lived down here will testify to the grapefruit sized rain drops in S. Florida rain. While driving through rain, I've noticed that the cars more readily visible are the ones with rear fogs.

Rear Fogs Fixed:
One of the switches was a no-go. The other switch after some WD40 and some massaging, finally clicked back.
My rear fogs work now, all the lights (including knob light) turn on.

Thank you all for all the input, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
Why the emphasis on rear fogs:
I've never seen fog here in Miami Beach however driving back and forth to Sarasota, I've encountered serious rain. Anybody that's lived down here will testify to the grapefruit sized rain drops in S. Florida rain. While driving through rain, I've noticed that the cars more readily visible are the ones with rear fogs.

Rear Fogs Fixed:
One of the switches was a no-go. The other switch after some WD40 and some massaging, finally clicked back.
My rear fogs work now, all the lights (including knob light) turn on.

Thank you all for all the input, it is greatly appreciated.
But it's not any kind of a true rear fog light system;it's just one bulb with the intensity of a brake light bulb. I doubt it saved many in fog rear-end collisions....but at least it's something.

I kinda figured it was your switches, but you never really stated if the second switch was new or not....just that you tried it with the same result. That was my conundrum...why a second new switch didn't work. The Devil is in the details.......

Kevin

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks in advance.
could be wrong there , but the rear fog light [ like in europe ] was not legal here ????

1 - 20 of 40 Posts