Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz S320 SWB
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Group,

I've heard over the years, that to maximize engine life, to rarely exceed 3,000RPMs when accellerating in daily driving. True?

It's not hard to exceed 3K RPM under hard accelleration, but in gentle operation, does this help or hurt our C/W-140s?

James "Grandma" Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
1997 S320, 87,200 miles, 0 to 60 MPH in 25 seconds....

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I can't for the life of me think why it would matter - high (red line) rpm running should be harder on the engine but I don't think 3000rpm is a magic number.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
900 Posts
A stallion needs exercise!

These cars were designed to cruise the autobahn. Unless you drive all day at redline I think you are being overprotective. Obviously you do not want to dog it all the time, but personally I find it rewarding on occaision to floor it on takeoff and see 60 in 2nd gear. Even at 133 the car rides like a majic carpet! Governor (on US models) kicks in thereafter.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These cars were designed to cruise the autobahn. Unless you drive all day at redline I think you are being overprotective. Obviously you do not want to dog it all the time, but personally I find it rewarding on occaision to floor it on takeoff and see 60 in 2nd gear. Even at 133 the car rides like a majic carpet! Governor (on US models) kicks in thereafter.
Thanks, Quakercity for the response. I'll wait for other's comments and advice. If not, maybe I'll drive with more throttle!

By the way, why do our transmissions, and their variations, have such poor longevity? Rebuilds under 100K miles, etc?

That's been a secondary reason for me to avoid hard shifts under high accelleration.

James Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
1997 S320, 87,200 miles, no problems at all...knock on wood veneer.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
It's wide open throttle acceleration that's harmful to an engine, not holding a gear or cruising at high RPM. When Mercedes built the 722.6 they either didn't know what they were doing, or were consciously planning the future obsolescence of the car, or a combination of the two. The transmissions that came before were extremely long lived.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's wide open throttle acceleration that's harmful to an engine, not holding a gear or cruising at high RPM. When Mercedes built the 722.6 they either didn't know what they were doing, or were consciously planning the future obsolescence of the car, or a combination of the two. The transmissions that came before were extremely long lived.
Any advice on extending the life of our 722.X transmissions, Deanyel?

Setting Aside $400.00 A Month For Catastrophic Repairs,

James Combs,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
1997 S320, 87,200 miles on original transmission...for this week?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts