Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd hate to spend $380 for a puck just to find out it doesn't work in my car. 06 e350 amg sport...can some please school me? I've taken the teleaid cover off from the center console...I'm showing two plugs - any help would be great...thank you in advance.

also would like it to work with Iphone

photo included

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
According to AWS it only works on MY 2003 & 2004 E-class cars.
Connectivity Options

But now that you have the wiring in the car, I would install the factory phone kit (completer kit for the centre armrest space, the phone controller, the antenna compensator would not be important, I believe that's it). Still a bit expensive but you gain all the integration with the rest of the car features.

Edited: As below, the adapter works on other models too, my intention was to refer to the E-class models only.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,864 Posts
The Puck with Tail should also work with the '04 S-Class.

The connectors in the photo are for the MHI phone system; they are where the contact plate is plugged in. The MHI phone system used from '05 on is very different from the system used in the '03 and '04 E-Class; the Puck With Tail is not for use with the MHI phone system.

The components necessary to complete your phone system are shown on the phone bulletin at http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/Phone Install Bulletins/2005 E Sedan.pdf - the '05 and '06 E-Class setups would be the same.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you want I can show you some pictures which I took about a month ago as I put the Puck with Tail in my car if that would help!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Attached are the pictures. with some description:
1.) Take the 2 screws off from the release button assembly with a T10 Torx!

2.) Take the 2 screws off from the outside corners in the back with a T8 Torx!

3.) Open the console all the way up. Almost open you can feel some opposition force but push a bit more and the console is straight upward open and won't fall down on you no more. Now you can loosen up the bottom 2 screws with a T8 Torx!

4.) Pull the false floor up and out at the front side as much as you can to work comfy. There you can see 2 clips. Open them up with a little needle-pointed pliers.
Your hands will thank you for not using your fingers. Sharp and lots of spring force!!!

5.) Plug the BT Replacer in and put the 2 pieces back together. It's a bit a game of finding the 2 wholes again! Then you can use the pliers and pull that little half-round plastic out at the side to have space for the cable!

I only have Paint and my little red marker rings are barely visible which should have shown you the screws and clips I'm talking about. I apologize.

For everyone who is using the DTB "VOICE ACTIVATED CELLULAR TELEPHONE INSTALLATION" which is referred to many times on this forum to install the BT Replacer:

Don't disconnect the Tele Aid power cord connector described on page 5, Figure 10, description text 7. This is unnecessary and the plug is not willing to just come out of the connector plus it's wasting of time.

Don't separate and remove the false floor from the base plate as described on page 5, Figure 10, description text 8.
1) This step is unnecessary because we don't have to wire up all the cables described in this pdf
2) It is really hard to put the base plate back onto the false floor because the two thicker cables which are in the back of the console are so short you have barely enough play to get them back together. It took me almost 15 minutes to get it back just to realize that this was totally unnecessary.

Don't drill the 2 holes described on page 5, figure 10, description text 9. Those holes are unnecessary because they don't match the BT Replacer holes on the back side of the puck. Thanks god my battery powered drill died right after the first spin and I checked if I really need those 2 holes.

Do break out the little semi-punched notch of the false floor described on page 5, figure 11, description text 10. I did this with a little needle-nosed pliers. Move it back and forth twice or so and it comes right out without any problems. The rest of the paper except page 10 and 11 for version coding is unnecessary for the BT Replacer installation process.

For the Record: My Samsung Blackjack (SGH0607i - the older one) paired with the Puck against all the websites with lists of compatible cell phones!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
6.) Wire the cable like a little curl in the front part b/c otherwise it will smash them if you leave them in the middle part of the false floor assembly!

7.) Put the false floor back in, put the 2 screws back in which were in the back and the front with the release button assembly! Open the arm rest again all the way and put the 2 screws into the bottom.

This took me no more than 5 minutes not counting the stops for taking the pictures.

The most frustrating part is to put the 2 pieces back together which form the false floor. The problem is that in the back of the assembly the 2 thicker cables are so much under tension that you can barely move those 2 pieces and keep them on top of each other lined up to push down and reconnect them again.

The BT Replacer comes with a little sticky pad to hold it in place. I decided to not use it since the puck doesn't move around. The package also contains a little plastic plate with holes in and 2 screws. But I couldn't figure it out yet what is it good for since none of the holes on the back side would fit the screws and this mystic plastic plate.

The last pictures shows the entire package content.
I will take some better pictures tomorrow and replace the blurry ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
but Tobias, Like SkyLaw mentioned...this won't work on my 06 e350, right?:confused:
I think it won't since 05/06+ using Digital TeleAid and this Replacer Puck was designed to use the Analog TeleAid put into our 03/04 cars. Unfortunately though! Since this is a pretty darn cheap method of using the phone.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I think it won't since 05/06+ using Digital TeleAid and this Replacer Puck was designed to use the Analog TeleAid put into our 03/04 cars. Unfortunately though! Since this is a pretty darn cheap method of using the phone.
Funny, you say it is unfortunate MB did not put the analog Tele-Aid to later cars and others are suing MB from putting it to cars like yours. :eek: :)
Clearly they should have put both to keep all happy.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1350190-tele-aid-class-action-lawsuit-sign.html

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Funny, you say it is unfortunate MB did not put the analog Tele-Aid to later cars and others are suing MB from putting it to cars like yours. :eek: :)
Clearly they should have put both to keep all happy.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1350190-tele-aid-class-action-lawsuit-sign.html
Well, would you disagree? I mean how much cheaper can it be to use a phone via BT than through the BT Replacer? I'm seriously glad I could go that route since I wouldn't subscribe to the service anyways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you are right...it would be the cheapest. Guess, I'll have to check out the trunk area to see what I'll need to setup BT. Thank you Tobias

skylaw, thanks for the PDF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts