Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
C55, 745Li, Elgrand
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking the today. One of the reason that we want to buy a Benz is because some of us or our some of our parents had work for their whole life to earn money, so they want to buy a car that they will feel that has a special meaning in it. So Mercedes Benz would be an ideal choice. Because that 3 point star is the way that show Mercedes is exclusivly for the people who think they deserve to own that exclusivity after these many years hard work. But now Mercedes are coming out these R-Class, B-Class, A-Class, it seems to make the three point star looks cheap, and doesn't feel being a exclusive brand anymore. So i wonder if anyone you has the same feeling as I do.

I mean, if Mercedes want to open up their market, they can use Chrysler to produce these brands, but not using the Mercedes Badge.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
wirelesscoyote - 2/23/2005 8:13 PM

I was thinking the today. One of the reason that we want to buy a Benz is because some of us or our some of our parents had work for their whole life to earn money, so they want to buy a car that they will feel that has a special meaning in it. So Mercedes Benz would be an ideal choice. Because that 3 point star is the way that show Mercedes is exclusivly for the people who think they deserve to own that exclusivity after these many years hard work. But now Mercedes are coming out these R-Class, B-Class, A-Class, it seems to make the three point star looks cheap, and doesn't feel being a exclusive brand anymore. So i wonder if anyone you has the same feeling as I do.

I mean, if Mercedes want to open up their market, they can use Chrysler to produce these brands, but not using the Mercedes Badge.
Those of us that are buying the more expensive cars are becoming more and more in the minority.

There is no question that Mercedes is working very hard to expand its market share and is doing so by attacking the middle and lower priced segments.

It is only a matter of time until the 3 point star is as common as a McDonald's hamburger.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
I actually disagree. If Mercedes didn't make an A-Class, I would want them to because it suits me for certain situations. As long as the quality is up to standard, then it doesn't matter how many models they have.

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Yes, I agree with Wireless..., the exclusivity of the brand is being diluted by the introdution of numerous models of "affordable" cars. Good for MB but bad for the SL owners that value rarity as much as exclusive nappa leather, etc... Oh well, I guess my next car will be an Aston Martin or Maseratti or some brand that has decided that it is comfortable with it's position as a high-end auto maker. It sure sucks to be caught in the middle of the MB identity crisis doesn't it? I just don't think MB realizes that they are trading their immage for mediocraty in their quest for more sales at every price point.

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Yes, I agree with Wireless..., the exclusivity of the brand is being diluted by the introdution of numerous models of "affordable" cars. Good for MB but bad for the SL owners that value rarity as much as exclusive nappa leather, etc... Oh well, I guess my next car will be an Aston Martin or Maseratti or some brand that has decided that it is comfortable with it's position as a high-end auto maker. It sure sucks to be caught in the middle of the MB identity crisis doesn't it? I just don't think MB realizes that they are trading their immage for mediocraty in their quest for more sales at every price point.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG kit
121 Posts
I totally agree they are lossing there exclusivity, when I was younger I used to dream about owning a new Mercedes Convertible to stand out in the crowd and feel I had made it etc etc. Now I am waiting to pick up my second NEW one, but they do not stand out because people associate them with the cheaper common run of the mill models A/B class etc. Which are actually causing the quality/standard of Mercedes workmanship to deteriate. Personally I would not mind paying a few extra pounds to get the service you expect, soon they'll be just like BMW's.

·
Registered
SL 500 2003 former; E350 2007 former, C320 2005 Actual.
202 Posts
In america we don't have the A class so we start on C class, but the SL is the exclusivity of the brand and when you go to the dealer with your car the other owners of the C and E class look at you different and also the employees of the dealer treat you with more respect.

·
Registered
clk55
88 Posts
To maintain the identity of the 3 point star, I believe MB should start a new division, similiar to how Toyota started Lexus and Scion.

The Scion cars, made by Toyota, appeals to a younger generation.

By creating a new division where they could reuse their technology and purchasing power to build cars for different purposes, they would maintain their brand image and exclusivity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not only is the exclusivity gone on the mbz marque; but also on the SL. I was driving to the SF bay bridge on highway 80 through Berkely and I saw SL500 pass me on car pool lane; one going the other way on a flat bed tow truck and one getting off the off ramp. 3 SL's in less than five minutes. Hardly an exclusive automobile.

·
Registered
1999 SL500
6 Posts
To maintain the identity of the 3 point star, I believe MB should start a new division, similiar to how Toyota started Lexus and Scion.

The Scion cars, made by Toyota, appeals to a younger generation.

By creating a new division where they could reuse their technology and purchasing power to build cars for different purposes, they would maintain their brand image and exclusivity.
In the USA that's what Dodge (and to a lesser extent Chrysler) is becoming I think. And it seems to be working, at a recent auto show the Dodge booth had waay more excitement and buzz than the MB booth.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
carlosfernandeznadal - 2/24/2005 4:03 PM

In america we don't have the A class so we start on C class, but the SL is the exclusivity of the brand and when you go to the dealer with your car the other owners of the C and E class look at you different and also the employees of the dealer treat you with more respect.
This is not at all the case in my dealership.

Everyone is treated equally and I believe that is the correct way to handle customers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts