Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the K&N filter for my car, and i know this is a dumb question, but where in the hell is the filter?[:0]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its under the hood! I see that it has 2 intakes, but the problem i am having is locating the filter. I dont know if its on the left or right side? I have taken the cover off the engine and i still cant find it! has anyone changed there filter to the K&N??

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Would suggest you not install an aftermarket filter. Have seen numerous reports of premature MAF failure and other components. You will also not see any improvement in performance, etc. Its like snake oil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just ordered a Hengst air filter for my E 320. I haven't changed it yet, but I have pulled the engine cover off, so I know where the filter is.

Obviously, the air filter is not in a "black box" like in most cars, including the W210. The air filters (there are 2 of them) reside in the black and silver engine cover.

You need to first disconnect the two black corrugated air hoses leading to the engine cover. You just compress them and they slide off.

Then you simply pull the engine cover off. On my E320, there is a small black plastic part on the front of the cover that detaches separately. Don't try to separate that part from the rest of the cover. So you don't get confused, start at a back corner of the engine cover; pull straight up. The cover is simply pressed on. I am pretty sure it is held on at each corner (so 4 attachments). There wer no hidden screws or bolts holding the cover on, at least on my E 320. Once you pop one corner out, you will gain the confidence to pull the rest of it out. It does need a pretty sharp pull straight up.

This is true from my E320; I imagine it is the same for the E500, but I am not sure. Use your common sense.

There is one air filter underneath each side of the cover (the two air hoses each lead to an air filter), and each filter is held in by a Torx fastener (I think). Hope this helps. At least you now know that if you only got one air filter, you are not in the ball game.

William
2003 E320

·
Registered
101 Posts
See pictures I took of the air filter here.
http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1202064&posts=7&fid=18

Like I said before and I second what someone else in this thread said, putting a K&N filter is giving MB carte blanche in denying a warranty claim.
William
2003 E320

1 - 6 of 6 Posts