Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the chrome trim around the window of the rear door of a gen II W126.

The lower horizontal piece is easy, but the trim that is on top and either side is harder to figure out. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
I took a photo of an old one I removed from a parter
As I remember I used a piece of oak along the top edge and tapped it downwards
The photo shows the channel along most of its length apart from a small section where it flows back down the door edge, it has a little amount of U channel but also a double sided tape to hold it tight

Attachments

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am going to try to get it off. Does the window rubber need to be removed first or the window rolled down? I am trying to do this on a door that is off the car and has the window rolled up

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks. I'll have to figure out which wires to hook up to a battery and get the window down. Any trick to getting the seals out?

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got the rubber off and am trying to figure out how to remove the quarter window. I think that needs to come out first before the chrome?

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
It's easy to get the quarter window out but you have to remove the door panel to do so.

Remove door panel
Remove channel weather stripping
remove 1 screw from top inner channel
Remove plastic sheathing from top edge to expose mounting bolts and remove
Pull trim forward gently with a twist and it will come right out
Install in reverse steps
While in there it is a good idea to clean and lube the window tracks/regulators. I did this to all of mine and they work flawlessly.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok guys thanks for the help. It is coming along nicely. The only thing left to remove is the chrome surround along the top and sides. It looks like I may be able to use a large screwdriver to lever it off from inside the channel. Is that the best way?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts