Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Does anyone know about this trick?

1397 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  plink49
Not sure if the fuse box under the hood is in the same place on all models, but on my car (S500) it is on the drivers side close to the windshield. Anyway, if anyone has noticed its kind of cramped in there to read the chart for the fuses because the hood is so low. Luckily a friend of mine who works in a body shop told me that there is a trick. When you open your hood it only goes up about 35 degrees. However, if you look carefully o the hinges, you'll notice that there is a button on each side. Press the button on each side and the hood will open vertically - 90 degrees! I must say it is kind of scary to see that big ass hood standing straight up in the air!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
'96 SL320, '96 C220, '86 300E
72 Posts
hood hinges

To my knowlege, all MBs models have had the full 90 degree hood opening for a long time....at the very minimum 1986...the oldest model I have personally owned. It's just one of those MB qualities that make it such a great car, and one that all other makes should duplicate! Another is the ability to turn off the trunk lights (on my 500SEL) when it is going to be open for an extended period to avoid draining the battery...and it not allowing you to leave it off before finally shutting the lid!

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: hood hinges

Another is the ability to turn off the trunk lights (on my 500SEL) when it is going to be open for an extended period to avoid draining the battery...and it not allowing you to leave it off before finally shutting the lid!
My manual states this, but I can not duplicate it. What's the proceedure to turn off the trunk lights on your car?

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: hood hinges

Another is the ability to turn off the trunk lights (on my 500SEL) when it is going to be open for an extended period to avoid draining the battery...and it not allowing you to leave it off before finally shutting the lid!
My manual states this, but I can not duplicate it. What's the proceedure to turn off the trunk lights on your car?

· Registered
'96 SL320, '96 C220, '86 300E
72 Posts
MPM77....trunk lights

I had a problem with it at first as well, but it was a case of making something simple into something difficult. There is a small yellow plastic slot just under the "catch" that simply needs to be rotated to turn off the lights (as well as the vacuum trunk closure). The manual says to insert your key into this slot which is why it is confusing....a simple screwdriver is enough to rotate it! You must reposition it however when you are done having the trunk lid open as the lid will not latch with the switch in the off position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.