Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I might be able to post a WIS drawing of this circuit. I have looked up your model and there are several versions... Is it coupe or sedan? DRLs were not fitted to USA models - only CDN. Closest year is 'As of 1997'. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Key...thank you. So it's the '99 Coupe and I'm looking for the lighting diagram. I would like to see what was in place of the DRL module/relay for the US Spec versus the Canadian Spec version, or to see the Canadian Diagram to see how that was run. I'm looking into having DRLs installed and I want it done correctly. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
Well, you could look at these diagrams for 1997;
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1997/S500/SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS/
but I think that its not that accurate on how it is for a 1998-1999.

Either way;
According to several EPC diagrams, there are several parts involved
when you have the 236 option (DRL, Canada, Sweden and Norway).
The DRL Relay should be in the relay box behind the fuses in the engine compartment.
But, to fit a relay there, there must be some harness to support it. (and believe me, I have tried to
put a relay in the DRL on a german car. No go) Thus, the cockpit harness
is different for DRL and non-DRL. The control unit also have
to be in place. Thats located on the tunnel, at the passenger side.

All in all, a rather big undertaking. At least if focusing on originality.

Look at these categories, and look for the ones with remark 236;
??????

54 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS:045 FUSE BOX AND RELAY
54 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS:080 APPARATUS CASE AND CONTROL UNITS
54 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS:395 INBOARD CABLE HARNESS & BELT WARNING DEVICE

Might be more.

br,
syljua

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts
Well, you could look at these diagrams for 1997;
http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1997/S500/SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS/
but I think that its not that accurate on how it is for a 1998-1999.

Either way;
According to several EPC diagrams, there are several parts involved
when you have the 236 option (DRL, Canada, Sweden and Norway).
The DRL Relay should be in the relay box behind the fuses in the engine compartment.
But, to fit a relay there, there must be some harness to support it. (and believe me, I have tried to
put a relay in the DRL on a german car. No go) Thus, the cockpit harness
is different for DRL and non-DRL. The control unit also have
to be in place. Thats located on the tunnel, at the passenger side.

All in all, a rather big undertaking. At least if focusing on originality.

Look at these categories, and look for the ones with remark 236;
??????

54 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS:045 FUSE BOX AND RELAY
54 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS:080 APPARATUS CASE AND CONTROL UNITS
54 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS:395 INBOARD CABLE HARNESS & BELT WARNING DEVICE

Might be more.

br,
syljua
man, you always got great stuff . thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I have been studying several circuit diagrams to find an answer to this question...

1. Firstly I found a WIS drawing on adding the DRL system. This covers several years, and shows the location of DRL control unit (N35) and the separation relay (K19/2) on the early models with DRL. Note that the DRL control unit was eliminated with the later instrument panel - which you must have on your 1999 model. Also on page 8 there is reference to parking lamps and low beam headlights being controlled from the gear selector lever position. I cannot find this on a circuit diagram.

2. The circuit diagram shown is listed as from 1997, (which should be your car) and shows the exterior lights with the Xenon feature. The lights all seem to be driven from unit N7.

I'm not sure that this information is going to be very helpful, but it looks like you do not need N35.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts