Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw this before, but now that I've spent most of the afternoon searching on this and digging around in the car, I've decided to give up and just ask.

Anyone have these instructions? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Have you taken the back of the seat out before? Once you do that there are 2 screws that hold the rear shelf in but you have to take the rear head rests off first. There is a small release lever on each one. Look through the holes bellow each one and push them down while pulling the head rest off. Remove the center brake light assembly on the pre 2000 models too.

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this is what I did. I removed the bottom portion of the back seat, went into the trunk to remove the lining to get a better view, and viola, I heard of the gas tank being in the trunk, and well I now know where it is. So what I guess I'm having troubles with is how to take the back portion of the back seat out and where those two screws are, unless I won't be able to see those screws until I remove the seat? Also, yes, I have a 2000 model year so I shouldn't have to worry about removing the center brake light.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, here's the deal... I went off of E-Klasse's directions and when I had the bottom portion of the seat off I then figured out what he was saying. Along the bottom of the back portion of the back seat there are three screws. One on the right, one in the middle (under the armrest), and one on the left.

Here are some up close shoots:

To remove the back portion of the seat after you have removed the screws you will have to lift it up about two inches to release the four hooks on the seat and then pull it away from the frame. Now that you have it separated from the frame you can slide it out one of the doors.

Now that the seat was no longer in the way you'll be able to see the headrests and the mechanisms that keep them in place. Go off of the directions here on Ed Soto's site to remove all three headrests http://www.edsoto.com/w210/disassembly_91seats_srs.htm

When you get the headrests removed you will need to remove the lining on the both sides to be able to remove the shelf. You'll need to release 2 or 3 snaps (sorry can't remember) that hold the lining in place and then slide it towards you about an inch and then pull it up and out. You need to slide it toward you because there is one tab on the side lining that hooks into the shelf. Now that the side linings are out of the way you'll need to pop these two pins out from underneath to be able to remove the rear shelf.

When those pins are out you now can slowing and carefully pull out the shelf. REMEMBER, you will need to unplug the center brake light before pulling the shelf all the way out. This can be done by reaching in from the trunk when you can see the wires. Now that everything is no longer attached you can completely remove the rear shelf.

I have a 2000 E430 so I would hope that this would be the same for all model year E Classes for 2000, 2001 and 2002.

So, the reason I needed to figure this out is I'm adding two more 6.5" mid-subs to the rear to increase that bass. Which btw, actually did help a lot. I only sat the extra two speakers beside the original pair and wired them in and tested the sound. When I'm all done I'll have two extra speakers that I haven't completely decided what I want to do with. I might sell them or I might just keep them as spares "just-in-case."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts