Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
I JUST PICKED UP A 98 SL500 SPORT. I THINK THE PACKAGE IS WORTH IT FOR THE EXTERIOR TRIM ALONE. THERE ARE KITS YOU CAN BUY TO CHANGE A NORMAL SL 500 TO A SPORT BUT ITS NOT WORTH THE MONEY AND TIME IF YOU CAN FIND A SPORT AND PAY A LIL MORE.

THE AMG RIMS ARE QUITE DESIRABLE EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE EASY TO DAMAGE. THEY ARE WORTH BIG BUCKS. I HEARD THEY CAN BE REDONE FOR $100 PER RIM.

THE SPORT ALSO HAS A GRAY SOFT TOP VERSUS A BLACK SOFT TOP. I HAVE SEEN THIS IN PRINT BUT IT HAS BEEN TRUE FOR EVERY SPORT I HAVE SEEN AND I HAVE SEARCHED FOR THE LAST YEAR OR MORE. I ALSO HAVE THE PANORAMIC TOP. SWEET!!

I BELIEVE THE SPORT ALSO HAS A DIFFERENT STEERING WHEEL THAN THE REGULAR 98.

SO I WOULD SAY IF YOU CAN FIND A GOOD REGULAR ONE FOR GOOD DEAL. GET IT. BUT IF IT HAS THOSE WACK STOCK RIMS, FIGURE ON SPENDING UPWARDS OF $1000-$1500 FOR NEW RIMS UNLESS YOU FIND SOME KNOCK-OFFS ON EBAY WHICH I HEARD SUCK BIG TIME. AND IF YOU WANT THAT SPORT AMG BODY KIT I THINK MATERIAL ALONE IS AROUND $2000 - $3000. AND THE TIRES? WELL I JUST SPENT $400 TO REPLACE THE 2 IN THE BACK. I THINK MY KUMHO'S ARE THE CHEAPEST YOU CAN GET TOO! LOL

ITS JUST LIKE ANY CAR. THE GT IS ALWAYS WORTH MORE! THE RARER THE BETTER! THINK ABOUT YOUR RESALE VALUE.......

1 - 1 of 1 Posts