Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 450sl - My "learn how to work on cars" car
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, obviously I'm pretty new to this, and as I'm trying to diagnose different things on my 1980 450SL, I am reading a lot about different engine components, sensors, regulators, etc. I still don't know exactly what is what, so I'm trying to figure out what parts people are talking about.

Does anyone have any diagrams that help identify all of the different parts of the engine, specifically for ignition and fuel delivery? I have read about WUR, ECU, triggers, valves, etc etc but I don't how to identify them on my car. I've taken a look at the shop manual, but it hasn't been very helpful with an overall view of the components.

Thanks!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Zack said:
If you are a beginner, you sure know how to pick 'em.:D

Maybe these sites will help.

For pictures of the various components I like this place.....

https://www.autohausaz.com/membersonly/login.aspx?sid=gf0ddmzx2tixd3mpj4ld3gma

For the 'relative' position of the components the exploded views on this site can help. Scroll down the left of the page to 'Shop by Diagram'. The drawings are somewhat generic, but can give you a feel for where to look.

Mercedes Parts and Accessories – Mercedes Wheels, Car Covers, Floor Mats, Steering Wheels and More from Performance Products

Hope this helps.

Dave.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Does anyone know what this part it? It is on the hose that comes out of the top of the air filter housing. I found the vacuum line connecting to it is broken, and I don't know where it is supposed to go to.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
Thats the air check valve and I think the lines goes to the lower part of the manifold.

That picture is of a newer 380. Here is a link to some photos of my 450.
1980 450 fuel system

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks for that!

Could that broken vacuum line help explain why my car seems to be running pretty rough and sluggish as of late?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. You just made my day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts