Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say this, but I bloody hate Lexus. Why?

1. The owners think they're god's gift to the world. They hold themselves so high on a pedestal, and force everyone else to bow down to them.

2. The car is absolute garbage. After driving a 96 Camry, then driving a Lexus, they feel very similar. THE CAR HAS NO SOUL!

3. Back in the mid 90's, people said, "If you buy a Lexus/Infinit/Acura etc, you were buying second best garbage since you couldn't afford a real german car." I used to hang around with my uncle in the early 90's and he had a 91 750iL and a 94 400E- beautiful cars[:)]

I still hold that statement true today since buying a hyped up Japanese equivalent isn't the same thing. When my parents bought their first Mercedes, it was an entire experience. You could feel the heritage of belonging to such a club.

I'm sorry if I offended any forum members who own a Jap "luxury" car. With all this being said, the only way I would drive a Lexus or such is:
I get a VERY good deal.
Someone pays me to drive it[8D]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
they think they are in the same class and they arnt...... for the guy who thinks hes hot shit I laugh at him for the person that wanted a nicer car then a honda I say more power to ya.

--Deathy

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DEATHERAGE - 12/22/2004 12:39 AM

they think they are in the same class and they arnt...... for the guy who thinks hes hot shit I laugh at him for the person that wanted a nicer car then a honda I say more power to ya.

--Deathy
true on that-A lexus ES330 and a Toyota Camry are the same price. What do I go with?

USED E-CLASS!!!!!!

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
linh - 12/22/2004 12:30 AM

It not the car my friend, it just the people. How do you feel to family that own Lexus and Mercedes?
No one in the family owns a Lexus, but one did was stupid with his money, what did he buy?

A $30K ACCORD!
A $45K Acura MDX. Seems like a waste of money to me. But again, do I tell them anything to their face? No. Thats just not very polite. I complement them and their car, I'm happy that they are happy. But I don't agree with their choice. Linh, I'm not gonna stop talking to them due to their choice in cars[;)]

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
Lexus's (or is that Lexi?) are just Toyota's with leather and wood interior. Its just a marketing ploy. In Japan, Lexus didn't exist until this year i believe, all the Lexus models the rest of the world gets are sold there as Toyota's.
Marketing ploy. I think that pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
I thank Lexus everyday I drive my MB. Because if it weren't for Lexus, we'd have overpriced under valued boring MBs.

Just like I thank Mazda everyday for bringing out the Miata because it lead to the current models of roadsters we have today. Hard to believe that was 15 years ago already!

To date, I've had a Miata, two SLK's, and an S2000.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
KishanShah - 12/21/2004 7:25 PM

.... THE CAR HAS NO SOUL! ...
That's what I say when I look at their flagship model. The LS I believe. It just looks like a basic car to me. I remember I used to like the old SC, but now I see them in the parking lot, and once again, they just look so normal. Meanwhile I see even an old beat up Mercedes, and it still looks good.

--Carlos

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
exactly- I can appreciate a 95 S420. A 95 LS400 doesn't do anything. The old Sc was kinda nice, but the new one looks hideous, especially the interior.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Hate is a strong word, I feel sorry for those folks ....

They fell for the clap-trap that the Lexus is a better Mercedes. If they were so good, why don't they develop their own designs and quit copying the Benz styles? The engineering is not innovative, they just build on what others have pioneered.
The only car that is truly different is the SC 430, and look at what happened there, they built the "Swine Car"..... [:D][:p][;)]

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is the kind of snobbishness that gives all MB owners a bad name.

1. The owners think they're god's gift to the world. They hold themselves so high on a pedestal, and force everyone else to bow down to them.
The same perception holds of MB owners from most people that don't own an MB.

2. The car is absolute garbage. After driving a 96 Camry, then driving a Lexus, they feel very similar. THE CAR HAS NO SOUL!
If I were to take the same yardstick, does the new S class have any soul? Even some die-hard MB fans are hard put to find any.

It is difficult in some circles to defend the soul of a machine that doesn't even come with a manual transmission and that applies to both MB and Lexus equally.

Note that recently, MB has settled for simply brute HP and torque to breathe SOUL into their machines than handling or the so many other intangibles that go into making a car likeable.

3. Back in the mid 90's, people said, "If you buy a Lexus/Infinit/Acura etc, you were buying second best garbage since you couldn't afford a real german car." I used to hang around with my uncle in the early 90's and he had a 91 750iL and a 94 400E- beautiful cars[:)]
On the other hand, people think MB owners are dumb consumers who are willing to pay a lot just for the badge and put up with mediocrity at times. There is truth to both assertions.

I still hold that statement true today since buying a hyped up Japanese equivalent isn't the same thing. When my parents bought their first Mercedes, it was an entire experience. You could feel the heritage of belonging to such a club.
I don't know. When I sit in a car whose interior starts to peel off, whose electricals go crazy because it was left out in the rain, whose window doesn't go up because the motor broke within a few years, etc., etc., the feeling is not one of heritage. It is one of being let down by that heritage.

I don't own a Lexus and I never have. But that is for the same or similar reasons that I haven't an Audi, a BMW, a Porsche, etc. I haven't liked any of their models enough to pay the price asked for. It can be as simple as that.

Lexus has done a number of refinements in their cars that are under-appreciated and has driven other manufacturers to be as detail-oriented. Their dealership and service quality enforcement while not perfect is so much better than MB that my MB dealer is great because he has brought all his dealerships to the level of his Lexus dealership. Compared to him, the rest around me really suck.

So rather than try to beat your chest and sprout hate to prop up a flagging self-image, just enjoy that we have so many different cars and models that is keeping the world competitive and allowing us to find one that suits us just as there are others that will suit others better.

We are neither better nor more correct for owning MBs than a Lexus.

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
venk - 12/22/2004 9:27 AM

This is the kind of snobbishness that gives all MB owners a bad name.

The same perception holds of MB owners from most people that don't own an MB.

If I were to take the same yardstick, does the new S class have any soul? Even some die-hard MB fans are hard put to find any.

It is difficult in some circles to defend the soul of a machine that doesn't even come with a manual transmission and that applies to both MB and Lexus equally.

Note that recently, MB has settled for simply brute HP and torque to breathe SOUL into their machines than handling or the so many other intangibles that go into making a car likeable.

On the other hand, people think MB owners are dumb consumers who are willing to pay a lot just for the badge and put up with mediocrity at times. There is truth to both assertions.

I don't know. When I sit in a car whose interior starts to peel off, whose electricals go crazy because it was left out in the rain, whose window doesn't go up because the motor broke within a few years, etc., etc., the feeling is not one of heritage. It is one of being let down by that heritage.

I don't own a Lexus and I never have. But that is for the same or similar reasons that I haven't an Audi, a BMW, a Porsche, etc. I haven't liked any of their models enough to pay the price asked for. It can be as simple as that.

Lexus has done a number of refinements in their cars that are under-appreciated and has driven other manufacturers to be as detail-oriented. Their dealership and service quality enforcement while not perfect is so much better than MB that my MB dealer is great because he has brought all his dealerships to the level of his Lexus dealership. Compared to him, the rest around me really suck.

So rather than try to beat your chest and sprout hate to prop up a flagging self-image, just enjoy that we have so many different cars and models that is keeping the world competitive and allowing us to find one that suits us just as there are others that will suit others better.

We are neither better nor more correct for owning MBs than a Lexus.
Saying things in public and on a computer message board are two different things. How can you say that about the current S-Class? Its beautiful! Drives nicely as well. I will agree that hate is a strong word-how about dislike. But I will say this- People said for $70k they could have gotten an S-that is used. Remember the price difference- the LS should be around 65k. S430 is around $75k-so no. They tried to save a couple of dollars, so let them enjoy their Toyota Avalon.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
My dentist used to have E-Class - was horrible in snow (with snow tires and bags) now he drives Lexus and loves it.

I am not fan of Lexus, but i would drive it if Santa will give me one, but my cash - may be will go for a different brand (i'd take American over Japanese)

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I don't hate Lexi. But I don't like them either. Back in the 90's the saying was 'A Mercedes is a Mercedes. A BMW is a BMW. A Lexus is a Toyota'. There is no compelling reason for a Lexus. Like has been stated they are a Toyota with some wood and leather. Of course you can say the same thing about Lincoln, they are just tarted up Ford's.

I have to agree that the cars have no soul.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
136 Posts
I did have to laugh a bit when I read the begining of this thread Kishanshan. Your hate for lexus vanished "if you got a good deal" You cant have it both ways. Im just not sure how a good price makes any of your issues go away but, i guess money talks.

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
salslk - 12/22/2004 2:00 PM

I did have to laugh a bit when I read the begining of this thread Kishanshan. Your hate for lexus vanished "if you got a good deal" You cant have it both ways. Im just not sure how a good price makes any of your issues go away but, i guess money talks.
Ummm, if I got a 2005 LS430 for $5k, duh!!!!!!!!!!

Even if I got a LS430 for $40k I still would take it, and sell it to the next sucker walking away with a safe estimate of $15k profit. Theres a line between stupidity and morale.[;)]

·
Registered
06 SL55
58 Posts
i currently own both an 02 SLK32 and an 02 IS300 SportCross. both with "manual" auto trannys.

and i like 'em both.

i had the SLK32 first and bought the IS used back in March to use as my "runner", and to be honest... from a driver's standpoint, i like the Lexus better. nothing matches the AMG's sheer power, the coupe to-roadster convertabilty and it's definitely the car i use for dates but the IS is more incisive, the steering's lighter and more direct with none of that unexcusable 3rd-2nd gear low speed "lurch" from the auto tranny. and it seems a bit more eager for the twisties...

the interior/switchgear on the IS is a bit on the plasticky side- more low rent than the other Lexuseseseses (Lexi) i've been in. this one in particular IS a Toyota with leather (actually leather with fake suede inserts) seats. i was expecting Toyota-like service costs but Lexus dealers gouge more than European auto dealers ie a 60k mile service runs between $900(!)-1015(!!!).

i'm not sure about the "no soul" thing. i guess that's the big criticism European automakers use to justify charging the premium price for their vehicles. but a lot of BMW owners say that about Benzes and a lot of older MB owners say the same about the current batch of Benzes. i'd be happy for Lexus/Acura/Infiniti et al if only that they got the German automakers to become less complacent and a bit more reasonable in pricing.

plus, my 71 El Camino has more "soul" than a 100 SLKs or 100 IS300s put together. and after i swap the hepped up 350 with a hepped up 454, it should be able to smoke both in a straight line too...

·
Registered
SLK32
646 Posts
I fully agree with the no soul part....

Before I bought my SLK32 I drove the SC430 a few times. I guess it is more of a cruiser rather than a sporty car. It has about 300hop but had no get up and go. rather sluggish.

The LS430 is marked up too much. The MSRP from invoice is about 15%, I think Mercedes are about 7 or so %.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
This post is an interesting read. Can't say im a big fan of Lexus in general, more than acura, but thats not saying much[:D] But I do gotta say that this being my first MB they are less reliable and quirky than I had expected and not in a good way. Thats a big plus for lexus, stabile and reliable, something mb totes as a strong point but the more I read seems to be just smoke. As for soul thats arbitrary. Personally id say my old z3 had a lot more soul, the car loved to be driven hard and I never ever had a concern about the 'check engine' light turning on because I took a turn to quick, or didn’t get the gas cap just right. The point im making (at least trying to) is that while the SLK certainly has spirit it loses a lot of glimmer when its plagued with simple absurd problems. It is downright embarrassing at times when im in the loaner car again while my coworkers pull up in their lexus, acura's, etc to work. On a totally different thing, as far as uppity people the worst by far in my experience were mb owners when I had a bimmer. Lexus and acura drivers I just feel pity for so how can they be uppity? [:D]

·
Registered
325 Posts
Although Lexus usually wins the contest over Mercedes in reliability, the owners I know who have owned both brands in the Tampa Bay area seem to prefer the dealer service at Mercedes.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
I agree with Venk and his statement. So Lexus has no soul, perhaps because it has not been around long enough compared to its competitors. And yes it comes from Toyota, that makes for less cost on research and development which translates into the lower price tag. Does it handle like a BMW, maybe not; does it have the panache of a Benz, no. But it is a successful brand and has put the other people on notice on several occasions. MB and BMW cannot afford to ignore Lexus just because it has no soul. In the same way I can accuse some people of buying luxury cars just because of the 3-pointed star or the white and blue propeller emblem on the hood.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts