Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's already out...(more)

Just not available in N.America, and probably won't be due to the costs in certifying such a low demand vehicle.<br> <br> For '03, the S-class, the S-class will get a minor facelifted inside and out, but expect the overall outside shapes to remain the same (I bet we'll see Bi-Xenon headlamps). The interior, which has been the source of some criticism, will probably be upgraded even more than it's currently already opulant state. Oh and a major addition for '03 will be the availability of the 4-matic AWD system.<p>h24-76-41-118.vf.shawcable.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: It's already out...(more)

By already out, do you mean as a vehicle *already being sold*? I thought they just released word on it this year. If not, when will it be sold? And if, as you say, it won't be sold in N.A., does that mean the S55 will continue as the American W220 AMG while the S63 will be available elsewhere?<br> <br> As to the other part, I hope the facelift won't be terribly dramatic right? Also can you tell me the difference between Xenon and Bi-Xenon? And this 4MATIC for the S-Class, will this be a U.S. option? That'll be interesting to see...Thanks for the reply.<p>a204b210n126client90.hawaii.rr.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the S430?...

With the gradual phasing out of the 4.3 Liter V-8 engine, I heard that the S430 will be discontinued in 2003.<br> <br> The only thing I'm wondering is,what will be the replacement, particularly in the US? Would they sell the S500 at about the same or slightly lower price?<br> <br> I've also heard that the SL will be getting a 3.5 Liter V-6 (250 hp) for 2003. I'm guessing that the S-Class might get this powerplant as well. Could this (S350 or S360?) be the base S-Class model in the US?<br> <br> Does anyone know anything about this?<p>user158x24.fjuhsd.k12.ca.us

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: It's already out...(more)

Judging from MB's past facelifts, it will not be dramatic. The overall shape will still remain mostly the same.<br> <br> By already sold I mean that the S63 and CL63 are already available in Europe. I don't expect them to appear in N.America due to the very limited demand, and the costs associated in certifying them for emissions, etc.<br> <br> Yes, 4-matic will be a N.American option for MY2003.<br> <br> As for the Bi-Xenons, what it means is that the high beams will also be HID Xenons, unlike the current low beam HID Xenon/high beam halogen setup.<p>h24-76-41-118.vf.shawcable.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: What about the S430?...

No, the S430 will still remain for '03. Some people just do not want a 5.0L V8 and the fuel consumption (not to mention gas guzzler tax in the US) involved. I am 100% certain of this.<br> <br> There are no new engines planned till the direct injection engines arrive in about 1.5 years time.<p>h24-76-41-118.vf.shawcable.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The marks on the lens are there for a reason...

and that is to control the beam pattern very precisely.<br> <br> It is likely that the '03 model will have Bi-Xenon headlamps, so who knows that they will do. If MB decides to go with a projector setup as I suspect they will, then yes, the outer lens will be clear polycarbonate like the M-class or CL-class.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: The marks on the lens are there for a reason...

Ok. I also have a 4Runner and the lights used to be frosted and in '00 tghey updated the headlights to the clear version. I bought the newer version lights and the popped right in with no modification.<br>
<br>
OLD LIGHT<br>
<br>
http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/old_head.jpg<br>
New light below:

Attachments

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, what they did...(more)

Was to switch from a headlamp that had a lens which did most of the controlling of the beam pattern, to a headlamp with a complex reflector. Since the complex reflector (which is what gives it that jewelled look) does the beam positioning and controlling, there is no need for those marks on the headlamp lens any longer. The situation is a bit different with HID lamps because of the different beam pattern and the need for much greater control to prevent any glare.<br> <br> Most non-projector HID Xenon headlamps have marks on the headlamp lenses. Projector based HID lamps, on the other hand, have clear other lenses. However, projectors require a lot more space in the lamp assembly, and are more expensive than the latter without necessarily having proportional (to the cost) benefits.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: What about the S430?...

It appears that there is a major price savings to be had in buying a 99 S420 over a 2000-2002. Why did the 99 style fall out of favor so quickly, and what does it give away to the newer models, if anything.<br> <br> Any reason not to buy a 99 420?<br> What's the best extended warranty package and where do I buy one?<br> <br> Thanks in advance.<br> <br> Larry

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The '99 style was around for almost 10 years!...

That's not 'quickly', heh heh. The new car is much more advanced, sportier, safer, but since it looses a significant portion of its bulk, it also has a bit less presence. For this alone, many people still prefer the older body style. While the new S-class is smaller on the outside, the interior dimensions are actually comparable to the older car!<br> <br> Since the old S-class was a heavy beast, you will be going through brakes and tires a bit quicker. If you get the '99 model, you will have all of the latest fixes, etc., so you will be fairly safe. The first ones had some issues with the climate control systems, but this was redesigned in 1996, IIRC.<br> <br> MBUSA offers a good extended warranty programme. You may want to shop around for pricing among different MBUSA dealers since it is not fixed.<br> <br> Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts