Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about the screw that holds the reserve gas can in the spare wheel well...I saw the part number for the kit (still available at the time) online - on a British forum, I think - but can't seem to be able to locate it now.

Any leads appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Simon,

Do you mean this?

No part numbers on it anywhere. Ask ElRojo if he has one or can source one from the JY.

I am pretty sure I got this one in the JY. They also hold the spare in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
I have seen it somewhere too...
I managed to make the tank fit into the black plastic liner but it was too high and the lid didn't close properly. I was then told by an MB engineer that the liner wasn't used with the tank as the bolt kept it all tight...
I haven't found one yet but made my own from a piece of thread bar

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bolt that holds the black plastic liner is not long to thread through the canister, even without the lining...I pulled several from the JY but didn't work out. However, the Original mounting hardware obviously looks very similar...saw it as part of a fuel can auction in the past. Want to order one from the German Benz dealer and pick it up on my next trip!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Do you have the wheel upside down in the boot?
That makes a difference in the screw being long enough.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I have seen it somewhere too...
I managed to make the tank fit into the black plastic liner but it was too high and the lid didn't close properly. I was then told by an MB engineer that the liner wasn't used with the tank as the bolt kept it all tight...
I haven't found one yet but made my own from a piece of thread bar
The Jerry can should fit into the black plastic 'tub' that sits in the back of the wheel. As Charlie said, the wheel has to be upside down, and I needed to drill a hole in the liner for the bolt. I know I got that bolt out of the JY, it didn't come with the tank.

I'll snap some pics later today.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
The Jerry can should fit into the black plastic 'tub' that sits in the back of the wheel. As Charlie said, the wheel has to be upside down, and I needed to drill a hole in the liner for the bolt. I know I got that bolt out of the JY, it didn't come with the tank.

I'll snap some pics later today.
I made it fit perfectly in the tub but no matter what I did I could not make it sit down far enough.. I even thought about letting air out of the tyre...derrr

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I made it fit perfectly in the tub but no matter what I did I could not make it sit down far enough.. I even thought about letting air out of the tyre...derrr
That's weird Nick. I'll take some pics of mine later for you.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
We could be barking up the wrong tree here.

I'm talking about the screw that holds the reserve gas can in the spare wheel well...I saw the part number for the kit (still available at the time) online - on a British forum, I think - but can't seem to be able to locate it now.

Any leads appreciated!
Here's a lead: ....

The reason there are no parts numbers is because it may not EVEN have been made by Mercedes Benz at all, but perhaps subcontracted elsewhere, and then sold later by Mercedes Benz, and the item you are speaking is too little for the parts number m to be there, as a practical matter.

The can itself is inscribed with a TÜV compliance number and its capacity (7 ltrs); and an embossed Mercedes 3 point star.

But it also has "Kraftstoff" with a little logo, and separately, "Bernsbach" stamped on it.

A peek at google brought up jobs available at a diesel and fuel company called "Kraftstoff" in D-08315 Bernsbach (postcode for the German town of Bernsbach, Germany).

It's in Saschen, in what was the old DDR, the state of Saxony, so maybe, as a German speaker, you might be able to phone up the Saxony Auto Suppliers group for a better lead.

Detail - AMZ Sachsen - Von der Idee zum SOP

I bet they could help...

My knowledge of German sucks, Papa could speak it but wouldn't teach us kids.

Ganau!

Thus, the item, *IF* made there, may be possibly sourced from there.

Or if not,maybe they could be talked into a w126 group buy -- on here. If so I am up for another one myself - for "The Red Plum". They don't only fit the w126 so far as I know. For sure they fit the W201, because my brand new one came from a stolen/recovered w201 190E, sold to me by its owner, a bw member who owned the San Diego show car that the can was in...and salvaged it from his "theft recovery" before the insurance company nabbed it. (I paid about $350 for it, but it was new and never has seen a single drop of diesael or benzin in it!)

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys. Found the website link I was thinking of:

Fitting fuel can in spare wheel

Parts number MB67580032.

I have a couple of the spare wheel screws, I think they only fit Gen1 that did not have the plastic tub but will try again. I'm going to Germany on Saturday, will ask the dealer there if they can source this screw.

Thanks again!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts