Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CL500 - 1998; 250S - 1966
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Here's my dilemma.
I just got a 1998 C140 with about 190k miles on it. I'm an ex-BMW fan and just sold the last bmw. You HAVE to have a bmw diagnostic tool or you'll spend a lot at dealers.
I bought all my tools, including duplicating keys and the 4000$ icom diagnostic tools. (for sale soon by the way)

What about the ownership of a 1997-1999 w140/c140?
Is that tool something i should buy?
I scheduled appointment with my mechanic tomorrow and he will test the car and give me the list of trouble codes so i can work on fixing it.
Of course if this benzes have electrical issues as often ast the 2002 7 series then i'd rather buy the tool then ask favours.

Let me know what you think.
MB Star diagnostic tool at about 1200$ necessary to a w140/c140 owner (post facelift if it matters) ???

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts

·
Registered
CL500 - 1998; 250S - 1966
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M....

On a 97 to 99 you will need it troubleshoot the error codes from the transmission.

I've lived with out it, and I have not required to have it for any codes, but it is a necessary as I am finding out by others.

Here is good thread..

I asked the blunt questions on post 30

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1648037-who-has-their-own-mb-star.html

Martin
Thanks for the Link
Guess i'll have to start fishing for a good deal on ebay.
And get rid of the BMW tools i have.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a laptop for BMW. Traded a glock for it! Once I get all the stuff in order properly I'll be even happier I have it.

So the correct answer is yes. Star is great for those that intend to keep their mercedes for a long time, and or plan on staying with a Mercedes for a long time regardless of model.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I would say yes if you are a serious DIY'er. You can't read fault codes from all the vairous systems without it. The clones are a lot less than $1200. If you're computer savvy, you can probably get a running set-up together for under $400.

Brett

·
Registered
98 S500
287 Posts
I bought one ($400) and it's saved me time and MUCH money!

I agree that if you are at least a DIY "diagnoser", you'll need one. I plan to keep my W140 for many many many years.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Dont need it under normal circumstances, but it sure can be useful and relieve frustration trying to unlock a module that you know shouldnt be crapping...

You need it if you are trying to chase electrical garbage or doing major work in your garage... say you bought that cheap benz with tons of blinking lights and it won't pass emissions...

what bugs me is that these cars are still less configurable than BMW and eons behind what you can do with a VAGcom... MB just doesnt like to allow anyone to do anything to them..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts