Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
513 Posts
I'm really curious as to why people are spending the $100's of bucks on new, aftermarket HU's, when everything that they do is also accomplished by the BT mod on the OEM Becker for $150 bucks? What's the draw? Not judging, just morbid curiousity.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk
Here in Europe an US-Radio is useless, because FM many stations are assigned to frequencies with an even decimal. And instead of installing a lot of additional equipment to get a BT-connection to my smartphone this upgrade was the fastest, cheapest and smartest solution.

My life goes on even if my car is not 100% in original shape, I’m engineer, so for me the functionality is an important factor. The prices for original Beckers here are crazy (Becker Mexico 7948 2000€-4000€) and the most of the old Becker stuff is all crap but expensive anyway.

If I want/need great loud sound including fat basses, I put my JBL Boombox (the big one) on the rear seat. Perfect - no installation of speakers, wires and amplifiers, 100% original
:)

Cheers Martin

·
Registered
1987 560SL
201 Posts
Value could be subjective.
Value to you as the owner. The sound, looks, capabilities you would get when out driving or
The value for you as the seller or as the buyer.
As a seller you may get a little more if selling car with original radio. Though I doubt you'll get your money back if you bought an original radio to add value to a car you are selling.
As a buyer you'll appreciate the value of the car as still having the original radio. But would you pay more ?
Which begs the question for gaining most monetary value for your car. Sell the original radio and car separately ! Especially if the radio sells for as much as seen on eBay etc.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
325 Posts
Which begs the question for gaining most monetary value for your car. Sell the original radio and car separately ! Especially if the radio sells for as much as seen on eBay etc.
That's actually a pretty clever suggestion, considering how a modern stereo vs. the OE radio may not really affect what you can sell the car for.

·
Registered
1979 450SLC
25 Posts
If I want/need great loud sound including fat basses, I put my JBL Boombox (the big one) on the rear seat. Perfect - no installation of speakers, wires and amplifiers, 100% original
:)

Cheers Martin
Same here...I've been using the JBL Charge 4 blutooth speaker. Sounds way better than the stock Becker Mexico.
I put it on the back seat and fold the arm rest down on top of it to keep it from sliding around... sounds fine.
I can even play background music while listening to talk radio on the Becker...:p

61 - 66 of 66 Posts