Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450SLC
11 Posts
The original Becker Mexico radio/cassette is in the 450SLC I recently purchased... works fine.
I'll probably leave it in place and use a stand alone powered bluetooth speaker driven by my phone to listen to Sirius and Spotify.

·
Registered
1979 450SLC
11 Posts
ha, yeah so would I. Too bad they cost $3,000. What a joke. I'm sure they would sell very well if they were reasonable
And they're already old and outdated as far as tech goes... from what I can tell.
Are they still making them?

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E Auto
284 Posts
Maybe one shouldn't ask if a period radio adds value, but rather if a non-period system reduces the value. My W124 still has the original Becker and the original electric aerial, I personally dislike a classic dash with a modern system as much as I dislike chrome wheel arch trim. :(
Here are a couple of links to classic systems for our cars:
1. buy BECKER RADIO
2. Becker Auto Radios Archives - Classentials
3. Classic Auto Sound

Reactions: natejgreene9871

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,168 Posts
Maybe one shouldn't ask if a period radio adds value, but rather if a non-period system reduces the value. My W124 still has the original Becker and the original electric aerial, I personally dislike a classic dash with a modern system as much as I dislike chrome wheel arch trim. :(
Here are a couple of links to classic systems for our cars:
1. buy BECKER RADIO
2. Becker Auto Radios Archives - Classentials
3. Classic Auto Sound
Thanks for the links. I reposted in the Audio thread

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
420 Posts
One thing this thread did is made me aware of what these are worth. I have a Europa II that I see selling for 500 to 770 on Ebay. I had no idea this would sell for that much. I am certainly never going to re-install it but I did put it in a box for safe keeping now! It works fine for what it is except I noticed that the push buttons had stopped working when I took it out. They did work fine just before I removed it so maybe it wouldn't take much to fix. I remember fixing one on a car many years ago with the same problem was fairly simple.
Maybe I should sell it or see if it goes up more in value.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
923 Posts
Thanks for the links. I reposted in the Audio thread
That last website is really interesting. I especially like how they offer the continental unit with the MB logo rather than "continental"
Font Audio equipment Measuring instrument Plant Auto part

·
Registered
1986 560SL
240 Posts
That’s kinda close in appearance to the original …but I like playing cassettes!

Brown Automotive design Plant Car Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
923 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
The only one I see for sale anywhere online is ebay over 3K. I don't know where you are getting your used prices.
On second look, apparently my searches found some years-old listings. This was not helpful, and I apologize for that confusion. Sloppy reading on my part not to realize these listings were outdated.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
308 Posts
FWIW when I bought my car with an “upgraded” stereo I saw it as a liability. I’m sure it would’ve cost me hundreds to replace with an OEM Becker had @cushjbc not had a spare and installed it for me.

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
495 Posts
Hi Champs,

as every time when this topic is on air here a picture of my solution. At least very suitable for the newer models.
Kienzle 130$

Cheers Martin

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1987 560SL
128 Posts
I really like the look of that Kienzle. Any pics of it powered on and night time pics ?

·
Registered
1988 560SL 50K
755 Posts
I love the look of the older Mexico pinstriped Beckers and for sure I would have converted or gone with a hidden system if it was right for my year. But original for my '88 was a Becker 780 which was never a very good radio.

Still have it in a box someplace however did replace the Panasonic with a Continental as looks fairly stock and has all the features I wanted.

As far as effecting resale. Might if the car is totally original low mileage example but as long as the dash wasn't hacked up I doubt it would be a deal killer or reduce the value more than the cost of an original replacement.
Gear shift Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
937 Posts
Here is my Kienzle illuminated. I like it a lot, but then nostalgia prompted my replacing it with a Becker 753. I wired their connectors the same so that I can interchange them as I wish.
The Kienzle has a number of frequency crossover, and sound adjustments making it the better sounding radio overall. I still like it's clean appearance, and the bright horizontal bars which tie it in with the chrome accent strips which run along the edges of the wood veneer.

Audio equipment Vehicle Entertainment Vehicle audio Media player

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,516 Posts
I'm really curious as to why people are spending the $100's of bucks on new, aftermarket HU's, when everything that they do is also accomplished by the BT mod on the OEM Becker for $150 bucks? What's the draw? Not judging, just morbid curiousity.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,465 Posts
I'm really curious as to why people are spending the $100's of bucks on new, aftermarket HU's, when everything that they do is also accomplished by the BT mod on the OEM Becker for $150 bucks? What's the draw? Not judging, just morbid curiousity.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk
I've never had a Becker, so aftermarket it was. I have noticed some here mention the sound is not great running Bluetooth through a Becker unit, compared to a modern good quality aftermarket head unit. But that's hearsay so take it with a grain of salt

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,516 Posts
I've never had a Becker, so aftermarket it was. I have noticed some here mention the sound is not great running Bluetooth through a Becker unit, compared to a modern good quality aftermarket head unit. But that's hearsay so take it with a grain of salt
Definitely hearsay. BT quality is limited by the HW version of the receiver. In the case of what module Becker in NJ uses, I think it's BT 4.0, or 4.5. For mine, with aftermarket dash speakers, and the Harman/Kardon Tweeter + Woofer I jerry-rigger for the rears on the rear deck from my w166, it's crystal clear, and you'd never guess you're listening to anything other than a line in aux input. The Becker amp is sufficient to power the two tiny dash speakers and the rear deck. Just goes back to my original question.

What does the aftermarket HU get you vs BT streaming to the BT module on the Becker via Sirius, YT Music, Spotify, Pandora etc. And bonus points for me as I can control music + volume via my smartwatch. All of that, + the factory look = nothing else comes close.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts