Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
12,610 Posts
So I am restoring my 560SL to a daily driver that will also maintain its value. My cars stereo is not fully functional and needs to be replaced. Is there real value in making sure a replacement is a period correct Becker or is a good modern stereo (that doesn’t change colors, or flash and spin blazing fireworks) going to not deter from its value?

All options are welcomed
A original correct part number radio would add value to your car if its in concourse or near concourse condition. However it will only add as much value as the cost of a replacement original radio. So save your old radio in the closet somewhere for the day you win the lottery and decide to bring your car back to original condition. A period correct radio of the incorrect part number or one removed from a BMW wont do anything for the cars value.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
923 Posts
A original correct part number radio would add value to your car if its in concourse or near concourse condition. However it will only add as much value as the cost of a replacement original radio. So save your old radio in the closet somewhere for the day you win the lottery and decide to bring your car back to original condition. A period correct radio of the incorrect part number or one removed from a BMW wont do anything for the cars value.
For me, It's not so much the radio change itself but the manner in which it was installed. Was it done cleanly or is it a hack job? I won't know until I get in there and poke around.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
923 Posts
My solution:

I bought a wiring harness that plugs into my original becker mexico. it replaces the factory amp and allows you to pair modern high power speakers. Plug and play, no cutting

It's on my list of projects to tackle.

Hand Automotive tire Finger Nickel Thumb
Eyewear Tool Pliers Wire stripper Wire

More info here

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,389 Posts
I personally don't care to listen to the radio while driving.
If I were looking at purchasing an R107, as long as the aftermarket radio didn't look hideous or appeared to be a hack job install.

·
Registered
95,94,93 e320/300e
491 Posts
For me it doesn’t matter. I’m usually the guy buying the cheap fixer uppers so radio is the last thing I’m looking at

·
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,856 Posts
I fondly remember my mother's 1974 450 SLC that she got in the late 1970's. Smooth car, and of course original, given when she bought it. Would've tried to buy it from her if the floorpan hadn't gotten dangerously rusty. My mechanic buddy's father also recently bought a 450 SL, I believe a 1975. Not sure which radio that one had in it. Neither of these cars were show cars, but rather daily drivers.

Had my mother's 450 SLC not had the rust problem, I probably would have it today. The radio would've gotten changed out to something a lot more modern. Since I'm a former USAF electronics technician and a bit of an audiophile, I would've done the installation myself, so it would've been done properly. Would I have kept the original radio? I'm not that sentimental, personally. The car would've been my daily driver, not a show piece.

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
443 Posts
I personally don't care to listen to the radio while driving.
If I were looking at purchasing an R107, as long as the aftermarket radio didn't look hideous or appeared to be a hack job install.
Solid thinking. I tend to listen to CD's with my choice of music rather than that of some DJ. and that usually when only tooling around town. Once on the highway, loud music competing with wind noise is not my cup of tea so the stereo is switched off. I also agree that as long as the look in the dash is acceptable, who cares?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,168 Posts
A daily driver?

Does the OEM radio add value?

LOL. NO.

I have driven my SL a lot....with many long road trips.

I want great sound and don't really care what it looks like as long as I get great sound.

When the day comes that you want to sell your SL....I doubt the radio will be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I am restoring my 560SL to a daily driver that will also maintain its value. My cars stereo is not fully functional and needs to be replaced. Is there real value in making sure a replacement is a period correct Becker or is a good modern stereo (that doesn’t change colors, or flash and spin blazing fireworks) going to not deter from its value?

All options are welcomed
I had a friend that lost a perfect 300 due to an aftermarket radio shorting out and sett the car afire---those damned bullet connectors cause shorts if not soldered. Use the original connectors .

·
Registered
1986 560SL
264 Posts
I had a friend that lost a perfect 300 due to an aftermarket radio shorting out and sett the car afire---those damned bullet connectors cause shorts if not soldered. Use the original connectors .
Sounds like there's more to the story. What happened to the fuse?

·
Registered
1983 380sl
17 Posts
I absolutely loved my factory radio with Bluetooth. No one will ever know about the Bluetooth unless you tell them. Guys in Ft Lauderdale did mine. You can find them in the Star Magazine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What puts me off also about most aftermarket radios:
Not user friendly. Not ergonomically designed. Some have 2 different buttons for the On / OFF functions. Buttons too small and badly labelled. Some displays are irritating, constantly changing. Becker radiuos have a cool, clear design and are easy to operate. When I want to hear lots of dezibels I go to the disco - don't need to have it in the car.

·
Registered
83 500SL (Used, from original owner) 85 380 SE (new) 07 CLS 63 AMG (new) 18 GLC 300 (new)
143 Posts
The radio is so relatively easy to swap out in a 107 that I think it affects value of the vehicle very little if at all.

·
Registered
2018 GLE350, 2002 C320, 1986 560SL, 1982 380SEC
8 Posts
I swapped the Becker for a Panasonic, but saved the Becker for the next owner. HD FM was not a thing when my 560SL was built.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts