Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
543 Posts
Initially I wanted to keep the original radio but it was so lousy I didn't want to listen to it. It finally decided it was my car to enjoy so I got a nice head unit added amplifier and speakers setting in back shelf. I think it actually looks better than the original but that is a matter of taste and now I do listen to the radio, Spotify or USB library and enjoy driving it more! I have the old radio so if I decide to sell it or my relatives do when I die it can be easily replace. I have made several other changes like replacing the Chrysler climate control servo that has to be replaced every few years with the Unwiredtools ACCII kit.
The design of the R107 is timeless. It is not like a model A or a 1950 Buick. It's just as appealing today as it was in the 70's or 80's. Today most cars look like almost identical washing machines.

I just no longer have the keep it original fever. I only make changes that can easily be reversed. The exception is climate control servo but even that still looks original except for what is under the hood.

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
543 Posts
So does this radio look out of place ? To me the old one looks out of place. It's just a matter of taste which is not explainable. To me the new one with blue on black background matches the interior better. The old Becker matches nothing.
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Vehicle Speedometer Car Gauge Steering wheel

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
543 Posts
I like the fact that the knobs on my radio match perfectly the knobs on the dashboard - they were clearly designed by MB and Becker to go together.

Euro bumpers are what the designers of these cars originally intended them to look like. Even though we call them 'euro' the first couple of years of US models had them as well.

Andy
I guess it depends on the year and model for the knobs matching. There are no knobs on the 80 450SL except the top latch release which does not match the radio knobs. The break release pull is sort of a knob but it matches nothing.

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
543 Posts
One thing this thread did is made me aware of what these are worth. I have a Europa II that I see selling for 500 to 770 on Ebay. I had no idea this would sell for that much. I am certainly never going to re-install it but I did put it in a box for safe keeping now! It works fine for what it is except I noticed that the push buttons had stopped working when I took it out. They did work fine just before I removed it so maybe it wouldn't take much to fix. I remember fixing one on a car many years ago with the same problem was fairly simple.
Maybe I should sell it or see if it goes up more in value.

·
Premium Member
1980 450 SL
543 Posts
I think the answer to the question "Does it add value" is it depends on who the buyer is. It may or it may not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts