Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've failed my Virginia emissions test (I'm going to post on that separately) on nitrous oxide (NO). It seems to me that if the car has an EGR system that this is the first place to look. I am a hands-on type of person but I'm inept at dealing with my SL. I've looked for the EGR but cannot find it. My mechanic says the car doesn't have an EGR and that I need to change the catalytic converter. Note the car had an aftermarket Miller catalytic converter put on about 5 years ago, only 10,000 miles ago and now we are talking about replacing it. The mechanic says that the car may have been burning oil/running poorly and this burned-up the catalytic converter. I'm hoping someone can confirm a) does this car have an EGR and should I try changing the filter and b) what do they think of this catalytic converter issue burning-up so soon. I see that a number of parts sites sell an EGR filter for the 1984 380SL engine. Where would I find it? I have the 116.964 engine for 1984, apparently there were two engines for that year.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
My 380SL Service manual does not show an EGR valve. The only feedback from the exhaust is the Oxygen Sensor. The older 450SL's had EGR's though.

CW
www.380SL.8k.com

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
The car does not have an EGR. Miller makes a fine product, and if your cat failed after 10K miles I agree with your mechanic. A bad oxygen sensor, an improper CO adjustment, or a more serious engine problem could lead to the early demise of a catalytic converter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
GeeS
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing