Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Am new to the vito world having only recently bought a 2001 110...

Overall, pretty impressed, only paid £1800 for it, and it was already carpeted and had nice wheels seats etc... However...

Have been up and down the M1 recently and am frankly terrified of the fuel consumption! Used 2/3 of a tank of fuel to get from Hull to London (though my fuel gauge doesn't seem to ever get to the top regardless of how full it is?!) I take it that isn't normal... Sat at 65-75mph too.

Also, seem to have a rather pronounced whistling from the turbo, not had another vito so don't know if it is normal or not?

Dashboard light fuse keeps blowing too, went all the way to a 20amp fuse, and it melted, so take it I have a problem there too...

Seem to have the obligatory stiff gear change and crap handbrake, but not too worried about them, mainly the fuel consumption!

Despite all that, have to say I am pretty pleased, first set of 4 wheels I have ever owned due to access to work vehicles and an obsession with motorcycles, but am liking it!

Any help you could offer would be great!

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
Mercedes Vito Dualiner 2005
184 Posts
Something is wrong, I have a 109 dualiner that has been re-mapped and my father has a 108 and both give good fuel consumption. 1800 seems pretty cheap. Any pics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll wash the 18kgs of salt off of it tomorrow and stick some up...

Starting to think it was £1800 for a reason!

Remembered another thing, speedo is under reading by 10mph...!?

·
Registered
2016 Vito 116 Bluetec
236 Posts
yes... your speedo is calibrated for the factory fitted wheel & tyre size.

Once you change them, your speedo is out. For example, I have 17" 235,45's on mine and my speedo is now out by about 5-7 km/h

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
How far is it from Hull to London? around 200 miles?

My 110 does around 450 miles on a full tank but reads only 1/4 full after about 200 miles. The only way to really know is to fill up the tank, drive and then fill up the tank again and see how much it takes to fill up again. Then it is easy to work out the distance you drove/ the amount of fuel used.

For me it varies between 30 and 35 miles per gallon. I am sure it used to do more but the gearbox is on its way out so may be reducing it a bit.

Are you sure that it is a noisy turbo and not a loose or leaky pipe on the air intake side. It makes some pretty cool noises when a pipe comes off somewhere (there are threads about that on this forum). I can usually only hear the turbo if I have the window open, so definitely not at this time of year

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That has cheered me up somewhat... guess I'll find out when I empty the tank completely... I'll have a look under the bonnet for the air pipes, take it they are in and around the air filter?

Have seen a few posts about vacuum pipes? Something to do with the headlight angle adjuster? I know that when I change the angle of the headlights I can hear a slight blowing?

Also, anyone know where I can get the dashboard assy reconditioned? The ribbon connector for the LCD screen has come off, and I have no idea how to re attach it.

Final problem- Dashboard lights fuse keep popping, can't immediately see any split wires?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2000 c240 sport tourer
4 Posts
from what ive worked out the dash lights are on the same fuse as the rear numberplate lights so you might have an issue there mate.

·
Registered
2016 Vito 116 Bluetec
236 Posts
You're right about the number plate lights. They are on the same fuse as the dash lights....

Check the bulbs out back :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts