Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving up the coast this weekend, north of San Francisco, on our way to Mendocino, I passed an oncoming white R129. Beautiful day, both with our tops down and both with grins from ear to ear we instantly waved to each other. In that 5 second encounter we had something in common.

Hadn't done that since my last Corvette...

Do you wave?

·
Registered
1996 SL320
285 Posts
When I was younger and driving my MGB GT we would flash high beams. Dont know if SL drivers would do the same, would be fun if it would catch on.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,331 Posts
All the time........:)

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Killer warm summer eve here in SW Washington. Crusing home from Vancouver thru the small town of Camas, a silver 107 and I did the high thumbs up ! Good times. Saw quite a few doofs in hardtop Mercedes that had the "I'm going to go home, take a sawzall and cut the top off this dammed hard top" look in their sad faces :crybaby2: When it's nice here it is truly glorious. The few nice months here can be truly spectacular :)

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Here most people wave anyway. Usually because everyone knows everyone but maybe 30% just wave at anyone. When I take a trip to the city they won't wave regardless and seem like they could care less to see another R129.

"If you don't use your turn signals, because everyone knows where you going anyway, you just might be a .... " Jeff Foxworthy

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
When I was younger and driving my MGB GT we would flash high beams. Dont know if SL drivers would do the same, would be fun if it would catch on.
I started a thing here 12 years ago of flashing your lights if there is an animal (especially deer or a dog) near the road or any kind of trouble ahead. It really honestly did catch on! Seems like half the people on the highway I travel do that now.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,212 Posts
Flashing of headlights is common here to warn of the multitude of mobile hidden speed cameras, long may the tradition continue. As for waving at other SL drivers, if I saw another I would have to stop them for a chat, Must be 18 months since my last fleeting glimpse of another SL in the distance.
When out in my 4x4 it is common for all other marques to wave, when out of town any other vehicle can become a novelty as the roads are mostly empty off the main highways.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
All the time, giving eachothers' cars a quick look over!

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Definately. And stop for a chat if traffic allows.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
Yes, wave or nod is my prefered. No big show just acknowledgement of cool!

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Got a "nod" from a top down 2012 SL600 today wearing the same MB hat as me. Then I tipped mine.

·
Registered
1999 SL 500 SL-2
170 Posts
When I'm on my garden tractor and my neighbor also is, we wave at each other.

When I ride my Goldwings, the oncoming Harley riders wave out of curiosity.

Oncoming SUVs don't wave at my Westy, but other Westy drivers usually stare in disbelief that there is more than one in northern VA !

Other SLs I have seen usually have the operator's head mated to the hand held phone, they talking intently and making big plans. Me, I'm just putting some fresh air on it and keeping the seals soft.

·
Registered
1996 SL500
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I'm on my garden tractor and my neighbor also is, we wave at each other.

When I ride my Goldwings, the oncoming Harley riders wave out of curiosity.

Oncoming SUVs don't wave at my Westy, but other Westy drivers usually stare in disbelief that there is more than one in northern VA !

Other SLs I have seen usually have the operator's head mated to the hand held phone, they talking intently and making big plans. Me, I'm just putting some fresh air on it and keeping the seals soft.
I almost always get a wave when I'm on my Goldwing...

Attachments

·
Registered
02 SL500 SA, 03 Mercury Marauder, 89 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park
131 Posts
Sure, I would wave or flash. I get the urge to do it if I see anyone driveing a car like any of my cars. This would be confusing if for example I waved at an SL while driveing the Marauder or the wagon. I usually stop myself in time but occasionally my instinctual reaction beats out my ageing brain.

Jay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts