Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might already read about my mostly bad experiences, when I was forced to use "professional" mechanics.
There were those 3 master guys at PepBoys in TN, that took over an hour to misroute serpentine belt on my 300D. They gave me some BS about bad tensioner as an excuse for slipping belt.
After making it to campground it took me 10 minutes to find out the error and correct it with 2 wrenches.
Anyway, now it is my E320.
I bought it about a year ago from a dealer, where it was "serviced" before the sale. It was Nissan dealer, so they didn't reset the service meter, but that was a peanut for me.
So I took their word for it, since those guys at huge service station service cars for living.
So today, even having 2000 miles till service on my cluster, I decided to change the oil.
Oil was brownish, but you know how those synthetics stay clean for long time.
So i got to the filter. After some pressure to grab the filter element from the rod and pull it the whole thing shattered like a glass. Even plastic ends deteriorated and I had to use pick to remove all pieces from the housing. From the printing on the pieces I could confirm, that that was likely MB brand element.
So how long such element needs to stay in the engine to get "extra crispy"?
If you ask me it wasn't double the schedule and not likely triple.

·
Registered
1984 300D
473 Posts
Well First off you shouldn't take your car to Pepp boys. I recommend that you talk to other mercedes benz owners in your area in order to find a mechanic that will treat you right.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Thats a bit rude:mad: . I trust my mechainc, he over charged me by $87 called me to tell me and now I have a credit for my next service, how honest is that?:eek:

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did he do the job he was charging you for?
Bill is something you can see and double check.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
Did he do the job he was charging you for?
Bill is something you can see and double check.

Yea he did but I dont know how much trans fluid is per L so I just paid for it. The guy has all sorts of highend cars in there S600, SL600 911's so he knows what he is doing the local limo driver who runs W140s suggeste him to me.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,947 Posts
I have a mechanic for simple things like brakes etc. Very trustworthy and I send him a lot of business. For more complicated work, I use motorwerks. And yes I trust them. With the type of cars that roll into their workshop, they don't need to overcharge me to make a profit. BTW, I would not take my car to Pepboys. I had a bad experience there when I took my jeep in several years ago.

·
Registered
84 Posts
do i trust myself? yes i do. if there's some bigger jobs that needs attending to, i bring it to my friend's shop and do it there if i can't do it at home.

·
Registered
04 G500
1,634 Posts
this is a case where you get what you pay for....pep boys c'mon i would not even bring my 87 sentra there. As far as buying an MB at a nissan dealer and having it serviced, it was probably just an oil change and a brake inspection. I know, because I am at a dealership.
Next time, don't be so cheap and bring it to a Mercedes-Benz dealership. At least they will fix it right, charge you for it, and if anything goes wrong, you have factory backing. AND YES YOU DO PAY A LOT MORE! But you do get what you paid for.

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To clear some misunderstanding here.
I used PepBoys while on vacations and MB dealership in TN didn't stock the belt I needed >>> PepBoys did and I assumed that any mechanic can handle any belt. I was obviously wrong, but then didn't want to get stuck for 4 days on my trip waiting for MB dealer delivering the belt.
About the oil changes - I bought the car coming off the warranty coverage, so I assume it was serviced at MB dealership. The car is exceptionally clean, so it is unlikely the former owner saved on service. As usually all the records "got lost" coming thru the dealership.
So if the oil filter wasn't changed for 50,000 miles, or more (car had 78k when I bought it) than Nissan dealer doing the last service is not the only one to blame here.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
The first step in "trusting" your mechanic is finding one that's had Mercedes training--from Mercedes--and has had significant Mercedes dealer work experience.

Without that, a mechanic has little chance of successfully servicing a Mercedes (despite what he or others might tell you).

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
My local indie mechanic has a good relationship with the local benz service dealer. He has 30yrs experience with MB and now specializes in pre-comuter diagnosis. The local MB dealer uses him to help diagnose older MB problems, as like most dealers the mechanics are to young to intimately know pre-comp models. He also has access to the latest tools and diagnostic/tuning equipment so it seems like a great relationship.

Andrew

·
Registered
37,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So your mechanic is having close connection with a stealership. Does this suppose to make somebody confident in his honesty?
There is long way from mechanics trained 30 years ago to today's electronic technicians working on newer cars. Most of the older guys will never catch the electronic gizmos. Not that young guys are good >>> just read this forum ;)

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
There is long way from mechanics trained 30 years ago to today's electronic technicians working on newer cars. Most of the older guys will never catch the electronic gizmos. Not that young guys are good >>> just read this forum ;)
Old car, old mechanic.

New car, ... dealer.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Michael:

Noticed you were in Michigan. I am from the Detroit area but work in Saginaw which is close to Swartz Creek. Is your mechanic an independant? I wouldnt mind his number if he is. I'm looking for some help in the smaller areas like brakes. rough idle etc.

greg raft

1 - 14 of 14 Posts