Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300td diesel
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 300td turbodiesel wagon that I'm pretty serious about purchasing. The body is immaculate, the engine runs like a watch, the price is right but there is one flaw. The gauge lights do not work. I've searched the past threads and there is a post describing the removal of just the gauge pod using a special tool or curved wire, but other posts suggest that the whole dash must be pulled down. I obviously am praying that I can simply pull the gauge pod myself, replace bulbs (and potentially do the LED upgrade in soothing orange[8D]) and be done with this. If it involves dash removal, how much should I expect to pay the dealership or a good mechanic to do this?? When it comes to electrical systems, I am illiterate but I can do the timing belt on my '96 Passat tdi in 1 hour[:)]

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Dash lights

BigT

The good news is that its only the pod that needs taking out. If you don't want to do it yourself, take it to an independent MB specailist where they can do it in minutes as opposed to a non MB mechanic who will struggle.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
The replacing of the dash lights is realitevly simple if you know what your doing. It easi...

The replacing of the dash lights is realitevly simple if you know what your doing. It easier if you have the pull tool, but you can use a screwdriver, etc. It should cost less than $150 for an indepenant MB Mechanic to do it.

I would recomend buying that car if it is as nice as you described! The W123 Wagons are hard to find and bring large prices if you can find a nice one. Jump on the opportunity now, or you might be sorry!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1985 300td diesel
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!!

I will purchase the wagon, thanks for the input. I have become absolutely addicted to diesel-powered passenger vehicles; I can't explain it to my friends and family. All they know is that any conversation with me somehow, some way, will lead to talking about glow plugs, compression vs. combustion, and soy-based biodiesel. With my VW Passat tdi, I love the powerful, rig-like rattle bellowing from beneath my bonnet at stoplights, I love the smell of my morning coffee and that large plume of smoke after starting her up on a cold, brisk morning....it smells like....victory
[:)]

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
haha yep love that diesel rattle... seems to get more intense the longer im stopped... the...

haha yep love that diesel rattle... seems to get more intense the longer im stopped... the seats in my car are like a piece of padded wood so the whole thing moves with the rattle...massage chair!... only thing is the diesel isnt too good for pulling into the driveway late at night, becasue thers no chance of not waking up my parents and getting caught ;>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.