Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys

I got the AC topped up last year in the summer and it worked great, however as the weather got colder through winter I didnt use the AC much at all but just the heater. And now the weather is getting warmer again I have tried the AC but its not cold at all.
I have been told you should try and use the AC even when its cold so the seals inside the AC unit do not dry out, is this true?

I am in the UK and have the dial type of AC not the electronic type. In the manual it said to just leave the dials in the 'white' part. Does anyone use it this method? (you can just see in the photo the dial type)

PS if there's are good guide you know to check for leaks on the AC system let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
I had an AC issue for 4 years. In the summer my AC would work great also. Many times during cold spells in Florida my AC seemed to discharge and I would have to refill it afterward. When I would describe this to the dealer mechanics they would always give me a strange and puzzled look. On Benz dealer told me it was a leak in the evaporator, $4,000 fix. Another Benz dealer told me I had a compressor leak $2,500. I decided to keep a supply of freon to recharge the system instead, much better than $2,500 to $4,000, especially since they couldn"t agree on the diagnosis. About 8 months ago I personally (in my garage) discovered the leak was coming from a fitting on a rubber hose coming out of the receiver/drier. Total repair (which I did myself) $250 ($75 for the rubber line, $175-200 for the receiver/drier, I already had a stock of freon). It all made sense. When it would get colder, which didn't happen too often in Florida, the rubber hose would harden and shrink allowing the gas to escape. Yes, the problem was all caused by shrinkage! :D

My advise is buy some AC freon dye, charge up your system, look for leaks using the dye light. You may see a leak while the system is running and if not you'll definately see it after it discharges. Check around the compressor, connections and receiver/drier. My leak was easy to isolate since it was by the receiver/drier. You should be able to trace the leak to its origin point using this process. Why the dealer didn't see this I don't know, but I have my suspicion...$$$$

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an AC issue for 4 years. In the summer my AC would work great also. Many times during cold spells in Florida my AC seemed to discharge and I would have to refill it afterward. When I would describe this to the dealer mechanics they would always give me a strange and puzzled look. On Benz dealer told me it was a leak in the evaporator, $4,000 fix. Another Benz dealer told me I had a compressor leak $2,500. I decided to keep a supply of freon to recharge the system instead, much better than $2,500 to $4,000, especially since they couldn"t agree on the diagnosis. About 8 months ago I personally (in my garage) discovered the leak was coming from a fitting on a rubber hose coming out of the receiver/drier. Total repair (which I did myself) $250 ($75 for the rubber line, $175-200 for the receiver/drier, I already had a stock of freon). It all made sense. When it would get colder, which didn't happen too often in Florida, the rubber hose would harden and shrink allowing the gas to escape. Yes, the problem was all caused by shrinkage! :D

My advise is buy some AC freon dye, charge up your system, look for leaks using the dye light. You may see a leak while the system is running and if not you'll definately see it after it discharges. Check around the compressor, connections and receiver/drier. My leak was easy to isolate since it was by the receiver/drier. You should be able to trace the leak to its origin point using this process. Why the dealer didn't see this I don't know, but I have my suspicion...$$$$

Thanks for the detailed info.

So do you know how to top up the AC yourself then with a DIY can of gas? Can you give me some advice on how to do this, maybe photos etc.?

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
The line that you charge the freon into is the one with the blue cap (yours may be a black cap, I lost the original black one). It runs between the right side of the air filter coverand the winshiled washer fluid container.

To charge just buy a kit at any auto parts store. It will have a hose with a gauge and freon. You may want to buy an extra can. Just fill until the gas gauge reads to the recommended fill level or when you AC temperature coming out of the vents is cold enough. You'll need to have your car running and the AC set at its lowest temperature with fan running on high. While you're charging the system leave the can upright. While charging the can will become very cold. A trick that I found to charge the system quicker is to have the bottom of the can sit in a container of warm to hot water. Makes the gas move out of the can and into your system faster. That's basically it. It's almost as easy as adding oil to your engine. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
'00 w163 55 amg (sold) '02 w208 55 amg '03 w163 350 inspiration
711 Posts
accolades to musik and tbsi. even with non MB's I've been told that the freon gas also has a 'lubricant' in it to smooth over those cracks, joints, & connections even when not in use. It does sound a bit stupid to run your car to warm and then turn on the AC with snow or frost on the ground :wtf:(@ least 1x per mo), but this is a basic GM based 'requirement' i was instructed about years ago. If the leak persists, as recommended above, you have a leak somewhere period. colored freon dye will help you find it. cheap hose to pricey compressor etc., it's a leak;) but disclaimer is remember post '94 CFC freon, in US anyway, the new freon is not as 'cold' as 1 might expect except during a good drive where you can 'run' it thru the system @ a good constant freeway speed. humidity and real temp might also impact---disclaimer as I'm not an AC guy but have bought enough of them to earn a minor degree in their typical malfunctions:surrender: dumb as it sounds I have been told by my mech's. if you don't use it enough it will screw UP; go figure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts