Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the older ML '98-'04, Mercedes used a larger (truck) style mirror. Using that type of mirror seemed better for viewing cars and objects in your blind spots.

Mercedes changed the mirrors on the ML starting with '05 to current which is the same style mirror found on their cars (C,E,S,etc).

The question is, do you think that was a good move or a bad move? Do you like larger mirrors or smaller mirrors? Does this mean you can take a C series mirror and install it on the ML?

The thought came to mind when I was reading this weekend's Parade Magazine. They had a section on "New Driving, the old rules don't apply anymore." The article mentioned that side mirrors should now be adjusted out more to have less than 5% of your car in its sight.

Thanks

·
Registered
ML350 w/ full AMG package
61 Posts
I don't have any problems. Works for me just fine.

On a purely aesthetic level – we don't want the ML to end up looking like the Mickey-Mouse eared Audi Q7! :)

·
Registered
2007 ML63 AMG
452 Posts
I agree, I would prefer them a little larger, while normal driving seem ok, when I am pulling my boat, I would prefer to have much more visibility then the current ones. (Although I don't want to give up my folding option)

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
The new mirror style actually started for the ML in 2002 with the W163. They're dinky. I'd prefer larger mirrors. I sat in a GL and thought it would be near useless to use the mirrors.

·
Registered
2004 ML350, 2006 E350 4Matic, 2007 ML350
23 Posts
arbittan said:
I noticed on the older ML '98-'04, Mercedes used a larger (truck) style mirror. Using that type of mirror seemed better for viewing cars and objects in your blind spots.

Mercedes changed the mirrors on the ML starting with '05 to current which is the same style mirror found on their cars (C,E,S,etc).

The question is, do you think that was a good move or a bad move? Do you like larger mirrors or smaller mirrors? Does this mean you can take a C series mirror and install it on the ML?

The thought came to mind when I was reading this weekend's Parade Magazine. They had a section on "New Driving, the old rules don't apply anymore." The article mentioned that side mirrors should now be adjusted out more to have less than 5% of your car in its sight.

Thanks

I can't agree with you more!!! plus, like someone already mentioned, towing a boat becomes such a pain!!

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
One of the first things i noticed when i test drove the ML was that the passenger side mirror was about 1/4 cutoff by the A pillar!!! wtf?!?!?!

I am not too concerned about the size although it could be a bit bigger, but the fact that 1/4 the mirror is physically hidden by the A pillar is a design flaw and could be dangerous

I am used to it now, but how this got past (or didnt) MB engineers and designers is amazing

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
The mirror on my original 98 was great, on my 02 much smaller but OK, took some getting used to. Now on my 06 it seems smaller yet but still useable. I do not notice any blockage from the A piller frm my seating position. I joked with my sales person that my next one will most likely have dental mirrors on it!!

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
sosh said:
The mirror on my original 98 was great, on my 02 much smaller but OK, took some getting used to. Now on my 06 it seems smaller yet but still useable. I do not notice any blockage from the A piller frm my seating position. I joked with my sales person that my next one will most likely have dental mirrors on it!!

Yeah, i am not in the 6ft height range so have to have my seat a bit more forward that most others...LOL!

but still, i am average height and it shouldnt happen

·
Registered
2006 ML 320 CDI
253 Posts
I had a new C-Class as a loaner the past couple of days, and actually the mirrors are much bigger now. Plus they are set off of the side of the car, to give even better visibility. Since both the E and C have such mirror designs now, I expect the ML will move in this direction with the next face life in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BigKutta said:
One of the first things i noticed when i test drove the ML was that the passenger side mirror was about 1/4 cutoff by the A pillar!!! wtf?!?!?!

I am not too concerned about the size although it could be a bit bigger, but the fact that 1/4 the mirror is physically hidden by the A pillar is a design flaw and could be dangerous

I am used to it now, but how this got past (or didnt) MB engineers and designers is amazing

Here is a picture showing the cut off mirror from the driver's point of view.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a GL450, the mirrors are very similar to the Ml's. They are way too small. I found that out when towing a boat, and then attempting to launch it. :eek:

·
Registered
2006 ML350
14 Posts
I too think the side mirror is too small. I did notice the mirror not only being small, but also somewhat obstructed when we first test drove the car, but obviously was not that bad cause we ended up purchasing the vehicle. Mercedes probably desired the mirror to have less of a truck feel and made it more aesthetically pleasing, but it is still a truck nonetheless, thus should have a larger mirror seeing that the mirror is a functional item.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts