Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we're all driving older cars, we often forget to check things like trunk seals, breather pipes etc as part of our maintenance. Checking under the bonnet of our cars with the engine running is not something I do very often, as they are well maintained, and being Mercedes diesels tend to run quite well most of the time.

My wife has recently been complaining of headaches, sore eyes and sore throat, which (as you would) we thought was the normal cycle of a winter bug she picked up. Then she discussed the issue with her father, who many years ago temporarily lost his sight due to fumes coming in the cabin of his truck. She also mentioned there was a smell of diesel fuel in her car.

Upon checking, there was a very slight manifold leak, and a very slight diesel fuel leak coming from the injector supply hoses. For the total cost of $4 in parts (fuel line), the lines were able to be replaced and the manifold was able to be tightened for free.

The moral of the story? We're all driving older cars here. breather pipes get brittle, as do fuel lines and other gaskets. Go out there today and check your engine bay with the motor running. Take a really good look and make sure you have no exhaust fumes leaking (from the manifold and if appropriate the turbo), no fuel leaks anywhere in the engine bay, and also be weary of oil leaks, which also can fall onto the manifold and burn up creating fumes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Perfect Timing!!!

Recently I had been popping the hood, disconnecting the fuel line, and accelerating by pulling on the linkage to get my car to turn off (was a bad vacuum pump diaphragm, problem fixed). I did that routine for several days in a row until about 4 days ago, when I fixed it. Each day I spent a good amount of time with my head under the hood denying the engine of fuel to turn it off (had to stay under the hood to plug the fuel line coming from the tank with my finger). Also, the PCV tube from the vacuum pump to the air cleaner was disconnected from the air cleaner, to avoid getting oil into the intake.

Yesterday I was whispering to someone and no noise would come out. I could talk normally though. Once that happened my throat felt dry and bad, like I had a cold, and I started having a headache. Today it feels like a cold, but I really don't think it is. It doesn't quite feel like a cold. I think I could have very well been sucking all kinds of fumes under the hood, including lots of crankcase fumes from the PCV tube.

I a couple of questions for the forum:

1.) While under the hood it felt like air was blowing into my face, but not from the fan. I was standing on the drivers side by the fuel lines, with the air cleaner on the opposite side of the engine. What could that have been?

2.) Someone on this forum said that I could try blocking the intake by putting my hand over the tube to get it to turn off. That didn't work, but when I did it I did notice a loud hissing noise, like air, around that area. Could this mean a leak that might have contributed to my sore throat?

Thanks for posting this thread!

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Yes, please be careful! Don't fool around - especialy with diesels - Diesel fumes have bee...

Yes, please be careful! Don't fool around - especialy with diesels - Diesel fumes have been proven to be carcinogens (cancer-causing agents). My 240D had an exhaust manifold leak and when I first started it I could smell the diesel in the cabin. If you smell anything inside your car or under the hood - have it checked out immedeatly - for your car and for your own sake!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.