Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It bugs me to this day wondering if I'm putting in the very best gas my car should have. I use 93 octaine, but its where I get my gas that bothers me.

We just got a new Hess gas station in town, they've rolled in bringing a new meaning to the word discount prices, we have a Sunoco, Cumberland Farms, a Shell (the highest price near the highway) a Getty and a Gulf. I'm not the kinda guy that just price shops his gas prices, I like to keep one brand in my car all the time for a better consistancy. but hey, if Hess is good, then why not stick with them?

Does one company have better gas than the other?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I've been told that the gas is pretty much the same thing, wherever you go. It's just the additives in them that make any difference.

I just get the highest octane gas I can and keep it at that.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Interesting fact: when i fill up Audi at Citgo -dashboard computer estimates 300 miles till empty, when i fill up at Phillips 66 - it's 350.

Also when i had a Ford Contour with 100K miles, and fill it at Citgo or almost any other station i will get a CEL, that will go away after i fill it up with Phillips 66 gas.

Don't know how much science is really behind it. But i am trying to fill Audi at Phillips now.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Yes, where you fill up does make a difference. As was stated the base stock is basically the same. The difference comes from the addative package which can greatly effect the overall quality of the gas.

A good friend of mine has run-on issues in his Supra if he uses Costco gas or purchases from a specific Texaco station.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
How they filter their gas is another issue. I'm sure the 30 year old Rotten Robbie's around the corner from my house isn't going to have the same filter system as the Shell down the street.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I know for a fact that all the gas in arizona comes from the same pipeline. We have the pipeline break on a regular basis now and there are gas shortages in the valley. People lined up for 3 hours just to get gas. $5 a gallon at times.

In arizona I dont think it matter what station you go to because it is all the same gas. It all comes from the same place. I do get the higher octane premium when I am at the station.

seems to run cleaner

--Deathy

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, 5 bucks a gallon. Humans, if there's away, they'll find it, they'll screw each other until their asses bleed.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 2/24/2005 3:59 PM

I know for a fact that all the gas in arizona comes from the same pipeline. We have the pipeline break on a regular basis now and there are gas shortages in the valley. People lined up for 3 hours just to get gas. $5 a gallon at times.

In arizona I dont think it matter what station you go to because it is all the same gas. It all comes from the same place. I do get the higher octane premium when I am at the station.

seems to run cleaner

--Deathy
Yes the gasoline comes in on the same line. But the gasoline out of that line is not the same gasoline that is delivered to the gas station. The gasoline from the pipeline is then blended with the brand specific adative package. We have the same thing in Atlanta. A nice big, fat pipeline bringing gas into the state. It is delivered to the 'gas blending' place (sorry I don't know the correct term) that is specific for each company. The gas trucks then go to their specifc queue. You will not find Exxon and Shell filling up from the same tanks.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
LOL okay so which gas companies to aviod, or seek out? I usually use Chevron or Unical 76. Any concerns/compliants/raves about them?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I have heard good things about Chevron, their Techtron additive is supposed to be very good. That's what I use, their 93 octane premium. But I have only had the car 6 weeks so can't really report with any authority. I just use cheapest regular in my Fords, they don't seem to care.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Shinigami - 2/24/2005 10:55 AM

I've been told that the gas is pretty much the same thing, wherever you go. It's just the additives in them that make any difference.

I just get the highest octane gas I can and keep it at that.
I can tell you from personal experience that the additives do make a big difference. I used to have a Probe GT in high school, and the plugs kept fouling(?), and (of course) the dealer said I needed all new plugs and plug wires. It happened three times after filling up with Shell 93 twice, and Marathon 92 once. I switched to Amoco (now BP) 93, and never once experienced the problem again. It may not matter on the majority of engines, but I only use Amoco gas now. It made a believer out of me....

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I generally only use Amoco gas. I do sometimes use QT and have had no problems.

What gas stations to avoid, IMO (in no particular order):

Racetrack
Shell
Any grocery store, wharehouse, etc. gas station (Don't go to Kroger, Costco, Sams, etc.)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
430, from what I've been reading on the boards, you seem to have some right answer for a lot of questions. Just for my piece of mind, what's the poop on Shell? Our Mobil station in town was just replaced with a Shell station because of the Mobil merger. I ask this with a very curious mind. Political? Formulation deteriating gaskets? hehe, I'd love to learn more about it. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Its for my own protection.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Miked619 - 2/25/2005 12:37 AM

LOL okay so which gas companies to aviod, or seek out? I usually use Chevron or Unical 76. Any concerns/compliants/raves about them?
I believe 76 is the same thing as Philips 66 we have in Midwest - the brand i have good experience with.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been trying to find something on the web that compares gas stations, ie formulas, detergents etc. I'm not having much luck.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
John Boy 330xi - 2/28/2005 9:52 AM

430, from what I've been reading on the boards, you seem to have some right answer for a lot of questions. Just for my piece of mind, what's the poop on Shell? Our Mobil station in town was just replaced with a Shell station because of the Mobil merger. I ask this with a very curious mind. Political? Formulation deteriating gaskets? hehe, I'd love to learn more about it. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Its for my own protection.
My avoidance of Shell stems from issues their gas had sometime in the 80's - 90's (sorry I can't be more exact than that). I knew several people that issues with their engines that was 'traced' back to Shell Gasoline. It had to due with 'Gumminess' realted to Shells gas. Then not too long ago they had an issue with too much Sulfur in their gas. Now in the most recent incident they stepped up and repaired problems caused by their gas. But what about all those people that filled up and did not have a problem manifest right away? What are the longer term implications for their engines?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cough, gag, damb! Thanks for the heads up. We've been using Sunoco's gas in town because they offered a 94 octaine, but now they're only providing 93 for high test. Since they're no longer doing the 94 I might as well price shop between the new gas stations in town. Hess and Shell are new, but from what you said, I'll look more into Hess, they're offering 93 for nearly a dime less than everyone else in town. Add that with the 5% gas card I can have some nice savings over time if the prices remain lower. I'm going to look more into formulas if I can ever find anything on the web. I know for some its no big deal, but hey, I'm bored, why not look into it if I got the time :)

Thanks for the heads up 430 :)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cough, gag, damb! Thanks for the heads up. We've been using Sunoco's gas in town because they offered a 94 octaine, but now they're only providing 93 for high test. Since they're no longer doing the 94 I might as well price shop between the new gas stations in town. Hess and Shell are new, but from what you said, I'll look more into Hess, they're offering 93 for nearly a dime less than everyone else in town. Add that with the 5% gas card I can have some nice savings over time if the prices remain lower. I'm going to look more into formulas if I can ever find anything on the web. I know for some its no big deal, but hey, I'm bored, why not look into it if I got the time :)

Thanks for the heads up 430 :)

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have used Hess in the past without any problems. I think they are probably an ok gas. Nothing wrong with them but the additive package is probably not as good as some of the other brands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts