Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased my first MB 2 years ago, C-300 4 matic, and I fell in love with german cars. The problem is I had my first child about 5 months ago and am finding out there isnt much space for everything having a baby requires, in fact I have to put the car seat in the middle because it wont fit in the sides without the driver or passenger kissing the windshield. My wife wants me to get an SUV but I am thinking about a larger sedan. I dont have the cash to buy a new one so will have to look used. Do you find you have enough space in the E class? My only other option was to look at a BMW 5 series but I would like to stick with a E350, however the BMW 550i is pretty impressive. the BMW almost looks bigger inside but its hard to tell without being in one. I appreciate any suggestions or real life situations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2002 C240 had enough room( barely)for all the baby things. Our 2008 E350 has more space and I am sure you could fit everything you need. For still more room our 2008 R350 is even bigger and has the largest rear seats I have ever been in. I think that you would be satisfied with an E-class.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2012 ML350 4Matic
297 Posts
If you really need a lot of space, you need a R350. The E is not a whole lot bigger than the C. Maybe an inch or two here and there.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
The E doesn't have much legroom in the rear for passengers. The new BMW 5 series has increased rear leg room by a fair amount. But the E is better than the C when it comes to baby seats.

Why not take the family down to the dealer and test it out. That's the only definitive way of knowing. "Size" is a bit subjective.

·
Registered
553 Posts
legroom in the back is absolutely horrible, no one can sit behind me...i wouldn't really call E class a huge car at all. Backspace is pretty much the same as in some hatchbacks (like my Golf 4 GTI), i can actually load more things into my Golf than E-class. If you want roomier Mercedes, look into S class or some SUV ;)

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was afraid the eclass would not be much bigger. I can't afford the S class even a used one is a bit pricey. I would love a MB wagon but it's just impossible to find one in the US. I did find a few 335xi wagons but I just love the MB over the BMW. My main concern I guess is getting the car seat to fit without being in the middle so if it will work in am E Class then I feel a little better.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
There are a lot of wagons out there for sale.
I found a 2005 CPO 320 4matic in VA for $26,000
with only 57,000 miles.

Also a 2006 E500 CPO 4matic in CA for $36,000
with only 46,000 miles.

If I check non CPO cars there are a lot
of 320s and 500s out there.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
If you compare the specs of the sedan to the wagon, you'll see that you gain nothing but the rear storage space (which is primarily the trunk area of the sedan.) A wagon will give you the rear tailgate and much easier access to stuff, but no more room.

And the specs of the wagon versus sedan show that there's actually less rear passenger space in the wagon :eek: Not by a lot, but it is less.

And I wouldn't put a child in the rear facing third row........

I hate to say it but the wagon is no bigger than the sedan. It has a more convenient storage area and that's it. The wagon is only 1 inch longer (exterior-wise) than the sedan.

Don't get me wrong, I love wagons. :thumbsup:
I came very close to buying a new E63 wagon, but it was the wrong color combo and the only one available in a 1k mile radius from me. And now you can't get the W212 E63 wagons in the USA (at least not yet.) :(

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.3
178 Posts
Took a 1 hr trip yesterday with 3 > 6ft teenagers in the back. I am 6ft 4" and had to slide the drivers seat forward until my legs hit the bottom of the steering wheel.
Middle passenger in the back was very uncomfortable.

1 hr was about as long as we could all stand it - would hate to go any further.

On my own (or with wife in tow), I think the E size is close to perfect, big enough to be safe and smooth and confortable, but still small enough to park and manoeuvre easily.
Boot is enormous.

I previously had an ML320 which suited carting the family around so much better than the E.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the obstacle I am in, my wife bought a jeep liberty so I got rid of my SUV and bought the C thinking the liberty would be enough room. This was pre-baby. Now post baby I am finding her liberty has no more room then my C.

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
Im love my wagon and I always have 5 people in the car. No one has complained of being cramped in the back, not to mention the trunk is huge!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Funny thread. I have an 06 E350 and my wife and I are going through the same thing with our second child. Our first child was always in the middle as is recommended by several books and things we read.

Our second child created a problem because we needed to move both kids to the sides. I'm 6'4" and my seat is set all the way back with a considerable recline. We initially had our newest behind me in her infant carrier but that forced me to practically sit on the steering wheel!!

We changed our almost 3 year old and her Britax Roundabout to behind me and that gave me almost the same space I had before.

I think your space issues are determined by the size of your infant carrier and baby seats.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your exactly right, its not as much the amount of stuff we lug around but the baby seat. They do recomend putting the seat in the middle, which in this case works out well, but having it in the middle means its more difficult for my wife to get him in/out of the car. however, there is no way he could be on one side in the back unless someone is very short.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts