Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm not abusing my discussion board privileges but: I admit I'm new to DIY repairs, but after plunking down $3000 in the last two weeks for things that should have cost less than $1000, I've vowed to either do-it-myself or know what I'm asking when I have to bring the car in for repairs (rather than saying, "it's making a funny noise in the front there, fix it!" Anyway, I see repair Manuals (paper and CD) at eBay for a total of $15 --- are they worth even that? Do you consider them (A)indispensible, (B)only use as a reference when talking to a real mechanic, (C)rarely opened, (D) who has all these German tools to begin with?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I have the CDs, parts catalogues, fuel system manuals, and an assortment of appropriated materials from the Web, both on my own CDs and hard copy. I find the repair manual CDs lacking considerably, but you get what you pay for. Some of the service items on the CDs are better such as the transmission fluid and filter change but other service items such as the fuel filter and pump replacement are almost useless.

There are also various web sites with good information as well as parts and tool suppliers online. The goal is to buy a car that is in good condition, i.e. not in need of major front end or engine work, and do the routine maintenance yourself.

May I ask what you had done in the last two weeks that cost $3000?

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JDC for the input:
I'm going to start a new post to tell the $3000 story --- I think it'll give you a laugh.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
No, I don’t mean to make light of your experience – we’ve all been there; it’s possible the 3k was justified, knowing these cars…

Also, here’s a link to MB tools and the technical data book (MB1993TDB), which covers the 126 from 89 to 91.

http://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes_lit.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts