Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
e320 CDI 2005
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently bought a E320 CDI with Bi Xenon headlights, still love this machine. Yet my wife says she can not drive it at night because the low beams are just too dim. I first thought it was just because Xenon is a different light color, but when turning the indicator orange visibly adds light on the road, which can only mean the headlights are weak, no? They surely are both on btw.

Do these lightbulbs wear out? The prior owner and me drive with daytime running lights, so did they slowly get more and more dim over time?

Thanks
Bart

·
Registered
2002 E320 4matic Wagon
1 Posts
Dim Xenons

I purchased a loaded 2002 E320 all wheel drive wagon a month or so ago and my wife has complained several times about the lights being very dim. They are xenons and I too have noticed that they aren't as bright as xenons in many other cars I've driven. Does anyone have comments or thoughts on this dim xenon issue. The lenses don't look noticeably cloudy and I know that is sometimes an issue with them.

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 2000 LPG Gas conversion.
115 Posts
Hi

I recently bought a E320 CDI with Bi Xenon headlights, still love this machine. Yet my wife says she can not drive it at night because the low beams are just too dim. I first thought it was just because Xenon is a different light color, but when turning the indicator orange visibly adds light on the road, which can only mean the headlights are weak, no? They surely are both on btw.

Do these lightbulbs wear out? The prior owner and me drive with daytime running lights, so did they slowly get more and more dim over time?

Thanks
Bart
I had Nissan Primera and i fitted aftermarket xenon's by my self and i noticed after 2 years they dimmed they where still bright but not that good. Probably aftermarket ones they get dimmed faster.

·
Registered
e320 CDI 2005
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have now ordered new bulbs, first it seemed like they would cost me a couple hundred dollars, but dug for a while and found a pair at amazon at 10% of the price. The model on an e320 W211 model is the D2S bulb, and I searched the normal 4300K version.

They look exactly the same as the more expensive ones

I'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
e320 CDI 2005
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi

I now can confirm that replacing Bi Xenon HID lights, before they die completely, is a very smart thing to do. On my E320 with 130,000 miles on it, the visibility was shockingly brighter after replacing the old D2S headlight bulbs with new ones of exactly the same specifications. Xenon has expected life of 2000 hours. Life expectancy means they still have 50% of light output after specified (2000) hours. My headlights had at least 3000 hours of service on the low beams. For 22$ cost of light bulbs this replacement is worth every penny, we can see again! I actually do not understand why Mercedes does not make this part of the service plan, belts wear out and xenon light apparently too.

Here are some tips on how to change HID Bi Xenon headlights on a Mercedes 2005 e320 series, likely similar on other e series models. After you unscrew the cap that covers the bulbs, you will see a black rectangular cover with bright yellow lettering. Turn the whole thing fairly hard to the left and it falls in your hands. A green wire connector cable comes loose. Have a look at how that has to go back in but do NOT put that back into the black cap you just removed. If you the connector back in, you will not be able to put the cap back on. You then see the back of the lightbulb held in with two metal springs. Unclip springs at lower side & the old lightbulb will tumble out. Take new lightbulb, manouver it in without touching glass. Oriented with black wire towards bottom, under the glass of the lamp. Thinking of a clock, put the black cap back on by pointing the arrow about "5 minutes before the half hour" on right side light & "5 minutes before the hour" on left side light. Only then put the connector with the three wires back.

What if you did like me & put the three green wire connector back too early. After loosing lots of skin in the dark, I took it in and found there is an light brow colored ring that turns when you connect the wire. This purposefully misalligns the notches and prevents the lamp from being connected. To correct this, remove the connector, re-allign the notches and then start over reinstalling.

Hope this helps
Bart

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
206 Posts
I've replaced the bulbs on my E430 but the HID lights are still very dim compared to any other regular bulb cars that I drive...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts