Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 E-320, 2003 E-500
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is it just me?

I have DSL at home and a T1 line at work. Still having to wait about 10 seconds between clicks :confused::confused: - while not a problem at mbworld or other sites.
Any member experiencing the same thing? Can it be escalated to the mod?

Regards,

·
Registered
2007 W221 Brabus D6 III S320 CDi LWB, 2003 W220 500LWB & 1999 W202 240 Elegance Auto
168 Posts
Or is it just me?

I have DSL at home and a T1 line at work. Still having to wait about 10 seconds between clicks :confused::confused: - while not a problem at mbworld or other sites.
Any member experiencing the same thing? Can it be escalated to the mod?

Regards,
Hi,
It's not just you, this site is taking up to 25 seconds between clicks, the adverts are slowing it down.

It needs to be rectified, or a lot of us will just give up & go elsewhere, I know the adverts pay for the site but if we lose people nobody will see the adverts anyway.

Can something be done about it.

Alan

·
Registered
02 ML55, 00 ML430 & 01 E430 4matic All Silver+Black
301 Posts
Hi,
It's not just you, this site is taking up to 25 seconds between clicks, the adverts are slowing it down.

It needs to be rectified, or a lot of us will just give up & go elsewhere, I know the adverts pay for the site but if we lose people nobody will see the adverts anyway.

Can something be done about it.

Alan
I noticed the forums being slow for a couple of days myself as well. But it is not due to the Adverts. There has to be a technical difficulty in the server where the forums are loaded.
Just because this forum is experiencing a difficulty we shouldn't give up and go elsewhere.. We are family here. A little loyalty would be nice...
Perhaps "we" should slow down on our quick decisions

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
This happens to me from time to time and today something is acting up for me and slowing things down. Someone said on another forum that Benzworld works better using the Mozilla Firefox browser. I am using IE7.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This happens to me from time to time and today something is acting up for me and slowing things down. Someone said on another forum that Benzworld works better using the Mozilla Firefox browser. I am using IE7.
Well, this time it is not our computer / browser nor the internet connection.. It is the server that these forums are loaded.
I hope no one plays with their computer and make it worse thinking that their pc's are at fault.
I am hoping that they will fix it soon.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Well, this time it is not our computer / browser nor the internet connection.. It is the server that these forums are loaded.
I hope no one plays with their computer and make it worse thinking that their pc's are at fault. I am hoping that they will fix it soon.
Your server explanation makes sense to me too. Let's all be patient and hope for the best. BTW, I have seen at least 3 threads about this on these forums; there is also one on General Mercedes Benz and another one on Off Topic.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I haven't noticed anything today. However, I do advocate the use of Firefox with the Ad Blocker plug in. Every site that uses banners, pop-ups, screen ads, etc. it blocks them out, when they don't have to load it runs faster.

In my experience this site is a pig with full ads in IE. :(

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Yea, I kind of hate to advocate ad blockers, but they are necessary for a lot of sites.

What I do when I find a slow ad server is to find its hostname by running a wire sniffer. Then I simply add that to my hosts file, redirecting it to 127.0.0.1. Since I am not running a web server, connecting there gets an immediate failure.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yea, I kind of hate to advocate ad blockers, but they are necessary for a lot of sites.

What I do when I find a slow ad server is to find its hostname by running a wire sniffer. Then I simply add that to my hosts file, redirecting it to 127.0.0.1. Since I am not running a web server, connecting there gets an immediate failure.
I just checked http://www.benzworld.org/ (this site) several times by sending ping http://www.benzworld.org/ command the result is very satisfactory 40 milliseconds from my location Florida. This means that the speed over the internet is fine but there is a problem with the server.
Matt L as a moderator do they report to you any malfunction on the server? All we have to do is be patient. I am sure they will fix it. :)
There are many other sites with tons of banners and other goodies but they are fine speed wise.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I just checked http://www.benzworld.org/ (this site) several times by sending ping http://www.benzworld.org/ command the result is very satisfactory 40 milliseconds from my location Florida. This means that the speed over the internet is fine but there is a problem with the server.
Matt L as a moderator do they report to you any malfunction on the server? All we have to do is be patient. I am sure they will fix it. :)
There are many other sites with tons of banners and other goodies but they are fine speed wise.
Oz, are you having a problem with it now? I'm running my little firefox setup and it's absolutely fine.

·
Registered
98 E-320, 2003 E-500
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi ozcan

What is the ip address it resolve to? My ping resolved into 72.51.9.88 but kept on getting timeout.

gregs210

I haven't a problem until this weekend and I do have ad block using firefox.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oz, are you having a problem with it now? I'm running my little firefox setup and it's absolutely fine.
Still slow! :( I don't think it is the borwser...

Hi ozcan

What is the ip address it resolve to? My ping resolved into 72.51.9.88 but kept on getting timeout.

gregs210

I haven't a problem until this weekend and I do have ad block using firefox.
The IP number is 24.28.193.9 Send the ping command as follows; ping http://www.benzworld.org
Try the web address with http:// as it is seen above.
The time is still around 40ms.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Not OZ...

but on I.E. 7 the site is positively "glacial"... One should not have to d/l and install a different browser to to make a site perform acceptably. The speed has steadily degraded over the past several days. Perhaps the site owners will find that the proliferation of advertising is driving the potential audience away due to very extended d/l times. Reduced "clicks" = reduced advertising $$ as I recall...

JR

·
Registered
301 Posts
Web sites should work on any available browser just fine.
Looks like it is picking up speed. They must be doing something! :)
It started slowing down this weekend.. Today was the slowest.
Hopefully they will fix it.

·
Registered
99 E320 4matic, 05 Saab 9-3, 96 Landrover Disco, 72 Porsche RSR clone project, 74 Dodge D10
39 Posts
I find that running benzworld v1 theme runs much faster (little pull down menu in the very bottom left of page) perhaps because it only runs a fraction of the adverts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Web sites should work on any available browser just fine.
Looks like it is picking up speed. They must be doing something! :)
It started slowing down this weekend.. Today was the slowest.
Hopefully they will fix it.
They do work on any available browser, did I say it didn't? However, Firefox with it's open code allows other developers to do things to enhance certain sites. Moreover, IE is a resource hog (even if you regularly dump all your temp files, cookies and offline content). Even at that, for basic sites, there is hardly any difference. Start throwing in multiple frames, popups, Flash ads, banners and all that other junk and it's like towing a 4,000 lb boat with a VW beetle. You'll get there, just not that fast, and it's more likely you'll "crash". Firefox without the ad blocker is pretty slow as well, the ad blocker just strips all that other crap off. Sort of like leaving the boat behind, just towing the trailer. ;)

·
Registered
W210 E230 & W124 260E
14 Posts
Part of the problem is the half dozen or so tracking sites that the page runs of to while loading the forum. Check your cookies and you'll see there are quite a few tracking sites like au.autoforums.com, verticalscope.com, doubleclick, etc. If anyone of them is having a problem it filter through to us. I noted yesterday that it was hanging on au.autoforums.com

·
Registered
1998 E320 RWD Metallic Black; 2006 BMW 530xi; 2011 E350 4Matic Sport
295 Posts
Ads, Ads, Ads banners, especially the flash ones. These clog this page down! It took me 30 seconds yesterday to view the antenna fix thread and I was in a Level 3 hosting center in Boston, too damn close to the backbone. However I did run a performance test through the main 210 forum and three threads and it is the ads that slow the page down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts