Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see two of them on either side of the engines, looks like a DIY task just wondering

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
If you are referring to O2 sensors, we have 4; 2 on each side, with one before, and the other after the cats on both sides. I don't think replacing them is as hard as determining if there is a need to replace them.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Totalfixation said:
how do you know if you need them replaced?
The one I had replaced triggered a check engine light but I think you need a code reader to determine that for sure.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, yes I ment 02 sencor. I dont need to replace them but I just notice there was more than one. No codes came up, but we are getting into the hot summers here in San Diego, I wonder if it would be wise to just have at least to in the car at all times?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I was 250 miles from my preferred dealer when mine was diagnosed. The service writer said the car was safe to drive that distance, but to have it fixed before long because the bad sensor would cause the fuel mixture to be rich, I would see a decrease in fuel economy, and that could damage the catalytic converters.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, thats crazy I didnt even know that the O2 sencor down there can cause that type of issue, I guess the two up front visible by either side of the engine controls temp, or no?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Gosh, I don't know because I have never looked for them. The next time the beast is up on a lift I'll ask a tech to show me where they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts