Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
do you happen to know what the size of the hole in the dash is?
The speaker hole is a 4M speaker - Euro/metric setup. You can get certain 4" speakers to fit, and you can get certain 3.5" speakers to fit, but the biggest issue is the speaker depth. Everything else can be worked around, but there's precious little space to put a magnet and speaker assembly into. If they're too thick, they won't work.

My car has a set of JBL speakers in front, but I don't know the model number. The PO installed them.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,100 Posts
I have a pair of Pioneers in the dash. As Scott said....it is diameter, obviously, but depth is the real issue.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
I have a pair of 4" Alpines. They fit with a die grinder on the left side. The main problem seams to be the diameter of the magnets. They press against the side vent controllers on the 560SL's. Other than that I did not find depth to be an issue. I also modified the side vent controllers for clearance.

John Roncallo

Attachments

·
29,100 Posts
I also modified the side vent controllers for clearance.

John Roncallo
"Do they fit?
I'm looking at 3 1/2 inch Blaupunkt speakers to replace the ones in my dash. Will they fit without any problems?"

I think he is looking for no "problems".

You could probably get a 6 X 9 in there with proper modifications.

Or a V12.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I want something that's going to be plug and play, not the effort that it would take to put in the Bose from my W140!

·
29,100 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
can I just get replacement speakers from mercedes-benz?
I have to admit to being kind of tone deaf, but I really dident notice the difference between my new Alpine speakers and the old MB speakers. However I certainly do notice the difference between my wifes 06 Nissan Altima with something like 6 real speakers and my 560SL.

Basically MB sound system technology sucked even in the late 80's for the entire MB line. This was something MB just did not know how to do or just didn't care. And the 107 was the bottom of the MB barrel for sound systems back then. So by todays standards the 107 sound system is a genuine certified POS.

And right next to there sound technology was the HVAC technology.

John Roncallo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts