Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'07 R320
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks....this question has been eating me up tonight!

Does the R-class' [2008 onwards] turn signals in the rear blink red or Amber/Orange?

From the pictures it seems that everything is red in the brake light cluster.

The 2011 facelifted model surely has Amber/Orange blinkers.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Folks....this question has been eating me up tonight!

Does the R-class' [2008 onwards] turn signals in the rear blink red or Amber/Orange?

From the pictures it seems that everything is red in the brake light cluster.

The 2011 facelifted model surely has Amber/Orange blinkers.
I have never seen a car with red turn signals.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
We live and learn:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'07 R320
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2008 R350 has yellow/amber rear turn signals :)
Phew! Thanks for responding. I am looking to buy a '08 or '09 and red turn signals were a deal breaker for me!!

Just curious....when the whole rear lamp cluster is red......where does the yellow/amber light come through?

I do notice that the backup light section in the lights is clear.............or maybe THAT is the turn signal indicator [which glows yellow]??

·
Registered
9 Posts
The round clear part has an amber bulb near the top for turn signals and a clear bulb near the bottom for back up lights. In use the turn signals light up the entire clear circle.

·
Registered
'07 R320
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes. in fact a big YES! It would have been a deal breaker for me.

I consider red blinkers are a safety hazard. I would never subject my family to that.

Consider this....After an accident [on a red blinkers car] others may say ........sorry I did not see your turn signal indicator since I got confused with your brake light!

Out of curiosity, are you serious that having red rear turn signals is a deal breaker for you?

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
yes. in fact a big YES! It would have been a deal breaker for me.

I consider red blinkers are a safety hazard. I would never subject my family to that.

Consider this....After an accident [on a red blinkers car] others may say ........sorry I did not see your turn signal indicator since I got confused with your brake light!
Most people don't like red blinking lights because it is an American trend and they like the euro flare of their vehicle. You do make a point about safety but don't you think the statistics would support your argument and make it illegal for automakers to use red blinks? Instead the majority of US vehicles come with red turn signals for 100 years now.

Don't get me wrong, it is possible to get in an accident like you describe although not probable. It is far more probable to cause an accident by talking on a phone or messing with NAV/radio or even checking out the blonde pedestrian a few feet over.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
Most people don't like red blinking lights because it is an American trend and they like the euro flare of their vehicle. You do make a point about safety but don't you think the statistics would support your argument and make it illegal for automakers to use red blinks? Instead the majority of US vehicles come with red turn signals for 100 years now.

Don't get me wrong, it is possible to get in an accident like you describe although not probable. It is far more probable to cause an accident by talking on a phone or messing with NAV/radio or even checking out the blonde pedestrian a few feet over.
I agree, but coming from Europe I have had some time to get used to red blinkers/turn signal on the back of the car.

I got used to see the orange/amber turn signal, so it is for me a clear signal that the car is turning, with the red I had some doubts and had to be more focused, now after several years in S FL, I realized that turn signal is an option in FL, I'm quite sure that most cars does not even have the turn signal ;)

I still prefer the amber turn signal and find it safer as it is clearly different form the brake signal.

In regards to the phone, I haven’t still figured out why, again here in FL, it is illegal to talk but you are allowed to sms/text/email??? this state newer stops to surprise me :D

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
302 Posts
Phew! Thanks for responding. I am looking to buy a '08 or '09 and red turn signals were a deal breaker for me!!
It's a deal breaker for me too, never owned & never will have a car w/o orange signal lights for me it's a question of safety.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts