Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GL550, 2005 E320 CDI
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

I have recently noticed lots of eBay sellers offering replacement headlight lenses for W211 cars.

My car is a 2005 E320.

Most of these listings show lenses for 2006 and newer cars.

Some listings show lenses for 2002 thru 2008 model cars.

When I type into eBay's fitment compatibility fields in the listing for 2002 thru 2008 models, it tells me the fit is not correct for my 2005 model car.

Some of the listing headlines say the part fits my year E320, but the fitment guide says they aren't a fit.

Does anyone know if this is a eBay glitch or do the replacement lenses truly not fit? My headlights look exactly like the headlights in the photos accompanying all the eBay ad listings.

Has anyone tried these? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD but bought another); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC SOLD
268 Posts
I bought a pair of them from China off ebay & listing said for 2006 & up. I haven't installed them yet but held them up next to car's when they arrived. They appear to be an exact match. The facelift cars differ in grill & front bumper to be certain but headlights & taillights appear to be interchangeable.

·
Registered
1967 250SE, 2004 E500, 2005 C320, 2006 SL500, 2020 GLB250
258 Posts
I bought the ones showing fitment 2002-2008 from the Chinese seller bigbangcn for $46.59 the pair from eBay. You have to wait a couple of weeks and I decided to risk the $50 against useless and endless rubbing with all the useless snake oils.
They fit perfectly with no need for cutting or adjusting. I believe that there is no difference in the lenses. The headlights may be different.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,645 Posts
I really want to tackle this as mine are still yellow even after heavy sandpaper, buffer and kit on the market. I believe it’s yellowed on the inside...

Does anyone have a DIY on how to do this since I believe you have to remove the lenses with a heat gun?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really want to tackle this as mine are still yellow even after heavy sandpaper, buffer and kit on the market. I believe it’s yellowed on the inside...

Does anyone have a DIY on how to do this since I believe you have to remove the lenses with a heat gun?
1. get the new lens on ebay. should also get an extra butyl rubber for re-seal
2. remove the front bumper (search u tube on how 2) and also search on how to replacement 211 lens
3. remove the headlight including the small part.
4. I use the oven with 110 c degree for 10 min. (dont have heat gun)
5. replace new lens and put it back in oven.
6. clamp around the lens with sth strong to make it tight. let it cool down and then reinstall the head light and bumper.

PS.
1. do not try to clean any shiny parts as it is easily to un-shine.
2. be very careful during remove the old lens as butyl rubber may stick to the shiny part and it's hard to clean.
3. u may use soft cloth to clean the projector lens to wipe out some small dust.
4. may consider to replace a new bulb for better cool looking such as 5000-6000k xenon if the existing is 4300k.
5. may also change to clear lens (morimoto) for the projector (old is fresnel lens) C pic. left is fresnel and right is morimoto

Mine is morimoto and 5000k.

Good luck and have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Nice - just ordered the new lens. Should really make a huge difference and make the front end look new again. I also have a DDM Tuning CANBUS HID 55w 6000k kit on the way as well.

·
2000 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, 2006 S500 4Matic, and 2006 S350
7,299 Posts
Another tip: put some *good* UV coating on that new lens. I don't mean the so-called "protectant" that you see in those kits at Walmart or your local auto parts store. I mean something stronger and more durable than that.

Why do this? If those lens covers are Made In China, then if they have protectant at all on 'em, it's probably weak, and your new lens cover may yellow after a few months. I'd recommend either some good UV-protectant clearcoat spray-paint (use plastic-friendly primer first) or some Opti-Lens. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Another tip: put some *good* UV coating on that new lens. I don't mean the so-called "protectant" that you see in those kits at Walmart or your local auto parts store. I mean something stronger and more durable than that.

Why do this? If those lens covers are Made In China, then if they have protectant at all on 'em, it's probably weak, and your new lens cover may yellow after a few months. I'd recommend either some good UV-protectant clearcoat spray-paint (use plastic-friendly primer first) or some Opti-Lens. Cheap insurance.
Thanks - found your thread and decided to follow your footsteps and I ordered the Morimoto evo-x R2 projectors to replace the factory ones since I’ll have the cover off anyway.

I’m hoping the swap will go smooth and I plan to follow your guidance as well. Also hoping the canbus HID’s will avoid Bulb out errors until I can get myself the star system to change the settings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.