Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED them.

Doing a Euro-conversion? Want to help save the planet one W126 owner at a time? Act now!

If anyone has a set of these doors, which are basically the surrounds for the sealed beam headlight and the actual lense of the foglight, I would be glad to hear from you. Mine have cracked and fallen apart during the course of my escapade.

I have only two requests:

1- No cracks

2- They're nearly free

I really don't want to be driving to school every day during the next four months (Hizzah for deciding to take more calculus courses!) with 3" holes over my fogs, but if I have to duct-tape them for now, so be it.

(Do you really want me to put W126 owners everywhere to shame?:eek::D)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,589 Posts
I don't understand a headlight "door". Could you post a picture for those of us that need the help??

Mike

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe their called doors? I honestly have no idea.

The whole premise behind getting Euro's is to remove them and the sealed beam.

I'll try to source a photo.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This photo illustrates them. They're litterally what make an NA-spec light an NA-spec light.

I need the lense and whatever plastic part they're bonded to. There seems to be a grey plastic housing to the back of them; mine have separated.

(That photo took 7 pages of Google Images...everyone has Euro's...)

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
I think you mean "housing". That shouldn't be too hard...We do not want any duct tape 126...funny I need the passenger side for my euro light...

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL Artic White, 1987 260E (RIP), 1993 190E, 1987 560 SEL Artic White (parts)
461 Posts
Hey Benz,
I got a set on my 560 parts car. Your welcome to them, if you want them. I don't know about shipping, but it shouldn't be more than $20-25 US.
Just let me know, and I could maybe email you a pic tomorrow. Cheers!
Sheldon

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woo!

I knew you guys would pull through.

Thanks so very much srf25, PM sent!

Does the lense just glue to the backing? (I just ripped mine off; didn't take any note of fasteners)

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,589 Posts
I have a set of US headlights from an SEC (in good shape) and a set from an SEL (one side with a hole in the plastic (drivers?), hence the Euro's). Let me know if you need/want them.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,014 Posts
The actual term used by Benz is "Headlight Door" The first poster was correct. It is a stupid term, but that is what Benz calls them. You can buy new ones also. I know they are avail still because I was going to replace mine before I knew that Eiuro's looked so much better and could be converted to HID's

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
909 Posts
> It is a stupid term, but that is what Benz calls them.

I wonder whether it was a translation issue. It is an access panel that you need to remove to get to the lights. If someone read "access panel" as "door" this could lead to this name.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you mramay for the offer; I'm pending a deal with srf25 at the moment.

I thought they were called "headlight doors", I remember the term from my 300D and the surrounds being called that.

I'm going to stick with the NA light, even though euro's offer somewhat better visibility and asthetics. I guess I'm just a purist as far as exterior appearance goes, plus everyone seems to have euros.

I'm with Nomada on this one, NA-spec lights may be the 'new' euros.

·
Registered
1985 300SD, 1984 500SEL Euro (for sale), 1977 450SL (adopted)
340 Posts
:crybaby2: *sniff* That first picture looks EXACTLY like my SD with a dead engine. :crybaby2:

Glad you got what you needed...*sniff*

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aw man.

Rest assured, if I had a 617 sitting around, it'd be in a giant envelope on its way to Texas right now.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,079 Posts
Thank you mramay for the offer; I'm pending a deal with srf25 at the moment.

I thought they were called "headlight doors", I remember the term from my 300D and the surrounds being called that.

I'm going to stick with the NA light, even though euro's offer somewhat better visibility and asthetics. I guess I'm just a purist as far as exterior appearance goes, plus everyone seems to have euros.

I'm with Nomada on this one, NA-spec lights may be the 'new' euros.
I´m also with u!

Here in Germany there are many tuning-fans, that love the US-headlights. You can get the white insert as a standard part for japs SUV´s here with H4

I did a light tuning with relais, so there is not so much power loss and the light is brilliant

Roland

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL Artic White, 1987 260E (RIP), 1993 190E, 1987 560 SEL Artic White (parts)
461 Posts
Hey Ryan, I haven't forgot about you, I work weekends, so I will try to get those things off for you mon/tues. The ones on the 560 actually look better than the ones on my 420, that I am replacing. Mclare sent me a set, and RickSolis sent me a set, so between the four lights I have managed to get a complete set. I should be able to send them out by wed/thur.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts