Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers,

I've been wondering if the latest AMG models (I own a GLC 43) still need a warmup before we start to hammer the gas pedal? I understand the pistons receive special coatings and they are produced with the highest precision technology, which allows the driver to make no difference in usage between the first second of driving and the fully warmed-up engine. I would appreciate if some engineers had an answer for me. The same question for the (bi-)turbo.. Do the latest turbos allow for limitless (or careless) driving without seriously impacting/damaging them, or there was no development in this in the last decade?

Thank you for your opinions and advice.

Botond

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since it is built with tight tolerances warm-up is probably more important than it's ever been. Metals expand with heat and contract with cold. It's designed to operate optimally within a certain temperature range.

Race cars always warm up before they go all out. A Formula One car has hot oil cycled through it to heat up the engine and drivetrain for at least 30 minutes or so before it even leaves the garage. And those cars have been built to very high tolerances and special coatings for years.

Also, keep in mind that tires need some heat in them to get sticky and that takes time. In addition the tire temperature will increase as the tires heat up. Much less so if you maintain them with 100% nitrogen gas.

What is amazing about these cars is that they hold up well inspite of some of the abuse they can be subjected to such as performance driving without a proper warm-up. It's best to be patient and allow all those well engineered parts and tires to heat to their optimal temps before doing any spirited driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since it is built with tight tolerances warm-up is probably more important than it's ever been. Metals expand with heat and contract with cold. It's designed to operate optimally within a certain temperature range.

Race cars always warm up before they go all out. A Formula One car has hot oil cycled through it to heat up the engine and drivetrain for at least 30 minutes or so before it even leaves the garage. And those cars have been built to very high tolerances and special coatings for years.

Also, keep in mind that tires need some heat in them to get sticky and that takes time. In addition the tire temperature will increase as the tires heat up. Much less so if you maintain them with 100% nitrogen gas.

What is amazing about these cars is that they hold up well inspite of some of the abuse they can be subjected to such as performance driving without a proper warm-up. It's best to be patient and allow all those well engineered parts and tires to heat to their optimal temps before doing any spirited driving.
Well said!!!!

I wouldn’t add anything here that hasn’t already been said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts