Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a E350 2007 with 70,000 miles on it. I have not change the Transmission fluid yet and reading through many post on this site, I am confused.
Do I really need to have Transmission fluid service? MB dealer will charge about $420 which include the fluid and filter, no gasket though.
Also for the 2007 model, do my car needs any software updated?
Thanks for all answer.
--JT

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
355 Posts
An objective answer would include some data. The best way to do that would be to take a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs and they will tell you about the condition of the fluid and you can make a decision on objective data.

I had the dealer flush mine at 30K miles on my E500 4 matic 2005 with a BG machine which did not drop the pan. I assumed the dealer used the correct spec oil but I did not ask what they put in. The next time I flushed it at 90K my self using the 14qt flush method outlined in the service manual. At that time I took a sample (fluid had 60K miles on it at that point) had it analyzed at Blackstone and the copper readings were very high. All else was OK. Since then I decided to do it at 40K miles. I did not do an analysis when I flushed it at 130K. I am now at 140K and have noticed no noticeable difference in transmission performance from when new.

Jeff.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
An objective answer would include some data. The best way to do that would be to take a sample and send it to Blackstone Labs and they will tell you about the condition of the fluid and you can make a decision on objective data.

I had the dealer flush mine at 30K miles on my E500 4 matic 2005 with a BG machine which did not drop the pan. I assumed the dealer used the correct spec oil but I did not ask what they put in. The next time I flushed it at 90K my self using the 14qt flush method outlined in the service manual. At that time I took a sample (fluid had 60K miles on it at that point) had it analyzed at Blackstone and the copper readings were very high. All else was OK. Since then I decided to do it at 40K miles. I did not do an analysis when I flushed it at 130K. I am now at 140K and have noticed no noticeable difference in transmission performance from when new.

Jeff.
Good Point.
I suggest you do a blackstone analysis every 10K miles and publish the results once you have 10 data points. This way we would know for sure when to change the ATF.
Parallel analysis would be helpful as follows:
1- Pan drop ATF change with 4 qts
2- Complete flush with 14 qts.

Until then, we'll stay with the MB recommended( but subjective) 40K flush

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI Obsidian Black
372 Posts
Do I really need to have Transmission fluid service? MB dealer will charge about $420 which include the fluid and filter, no gasket though.
--JT
Actually, the transmission is sealed and will last the lifetime of the car. Of course, that means when the transmission fails the car's life has ended and hence it lasted the life of the car!!!

It's MB's big joke on all of us...Absolutely change your transmission fluid every 40,000 miles or be prepared to pay the equivalent of 12-15 fluid changes for a new transmission.

·
Registered
E500 4Matic 2005 (S211), E220 CDi 2013 (C207)
483 Posts
Just a story about MB and gearbox:
I still have a W124 from '88, and I have to tell you that in 16 years and more than 110.000 miles I didn't change the ATF or filter, I know it's not what it was said in the MB book but it's just my experience.

If the car still alive at spring I'll change the oil and the filter, already got them.

That's sure that with oil change you'll get some peace of mind, but if a gearbox broke is it because its oil too old ? How to prove that ? Do you know somebody saying so with a personal example ? How many had a broken gearbox with standard oil change, will they say it ?

W211 have modern gearboxes, you might take that in consideration (that's what I'll do with my W211) but stricly what it is wrote in the MB book, certainly not !

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had talked to my advisor at MB Carlsbad, CA and he mentioned that I need to do the transmission service once then it last a life time. I think this advisor is very honest and the cost is between $385 thru $450. My car is E350 2007 with 67000 miles.
So tell me that do I still need to do tranny service every 40,000 mile?
Who's right?
Best,
--JT

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
I had talked to my advisor at MB Carlsbad, CA and he mentioned that I need to do the transmission service once then it last a life time. I think this advisor is very honest and the cost is between $385 thru $450. My car is E350 2007 with 67000 miles.
So tell me that do I still need to do tranny service every 40,000 mile?
Who's right?
Best,
--JT
Your advisor is right, just once is all you need if you want it to last 150K miles, if you want 300K miles out of it, then once every 40K miles is recommended.
Please note that MB's recommended maintenanxce is 40K on your transmission.
He may be very honest but he is not very bright

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
John. You have transmission 722.9. I believe. Your SA is probably thinking of the MB Service Instruction below which was issued in 2005.

This lists the models & VINs affected by the recommended filter and ATF change ONCE at 60k km (40k miles). I think that the important thing here is the filter change, not the ATF.

So check your model against this list. What does it say in your Service booklet?
The so called filter is so coarse, it will pass play sand all day long, the important thing here is the ATF not the filter, the filter catches large debris and shavings, that is it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have my E350 2007 Transmission Fluid service today at Carlsbad MB. Cost $385. So Benz change the fluid, replace filter. Got a car loan, a car wash, a MokaChino in the morning and another one when I pick it up. The car look perfect ;)
Ask about the duration when I need to change transmission fluid next, he said for 2007 model, that is it. However, for my other car, model E350 2009 then I need to change transmission fluid EVERY 40,000 miles.
I think that is clear enough.
--JT

·
Registered
2013 E350, 212.059, Avantgarde, Engine: 276.952, Gearbox 722.906
524 Posts
I'd rather pay $385 every 40K miles, than pay $3850 if tranny fails due to lack of service.

·
Registered
2006 E-350
27 Posts
Have my E350 2007 Transmission Fluid service today at Carlsbad MB. Cost $385. So Benz change the fluid, replace filter. Got a car loan, a car wash, a MokaChino in the morning and another one when I pick it up. The car look perfect ;)
Ask about the duration when I need to change transmission fluid next, he said for 2007 model, that is it. However, for my other car, model E350 2009 then I need to change transmission fluid EVERY 40,000 miles.
I think that is clear enough.
--JT
That's odd, as my 2006 maintenance schedule calls for a tranny fluid change every 39K Miles. I have changed trans fluid at 30-40K myself in my other (non-MB) cars and all were operating perfectly at 160K. The cost of Pentosin synthetic ATF is a small price increase to pay for longevity.

·
Registered
'06 E500, '99 ML430 & '07 SL65 AMG
648 Posts
Do it yourself. The materials (4 qt of oil, filter and gasket) is about $75 at the dealer. It is easy to do; drain, drop pan, clean, replace filter and gasket, reassemble and add trans oil.

I bought a dip stick for the trans on ebay so i know how much oil to add. It is typically about 3.5 qts.

I changed the oil on my SL this past weekend and it took about 1.5 hours with a beer break :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.