Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300GD SWB, 603 Turbo
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a G. I have come across a few 84-85 models in the states that are registered and titled in that state, but have never been Federalized. Is this a G that will need to be Federalized? Is this a G that I can drive with confidence and not worry about it? Or is this a G that I need to stay away from??

Let me know

Thanks
Mark J[:D]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
inkblotz - 4/15/2005 3:39 PM

In my search for a G. I have come across a few 84-85 models in the states that are registered and titled in that state, but have never been Federalized. Is this a G that will need to be Federalized? Is this a G that I can drive with confidence and not worry about it? Or is this a G that I need to stay away from??

Let me know

Thanks
You'll probably have no problems registering in GA, and DOT probably is not going to come looking.

However, the one possibly big consideration is: What happens if you're in an accident; and the other driver or either of your insurance companies finds out that your G is not compliant with US standards?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point my first step will be checking with my insurance co.

Thanks
Mark[:D]

·
Registered
'86 280GE LWB
18 Posts
I have an '86 and it is registered in Gwinnett county. It is not that easy to register in GA. You will need to get a grey market waiver to get through the emissions test. DOT will research vehicle history to ensure it has been properly converted prior to granting the waiver. My insurance company (State Farm) also required research for grey market vehicles. The lucky thing was the previous owner also had State Farm and they just transfered the info in their file to mine and this sped that process. DOT took several weeks to get me a waiver before I could get an emissions test and tag/registration. After several months DOT requested my title to be sent back as they had botched something and needed to correct it. Still waiting for it now. From what they all told me, the more documentation you have the easier/quicker the process.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for the heads up. The one I was looking at was from a used car dealer and they had no paperwork at all. So I may just need to let this one go. Or the other option is to buy it and have it federalized which I ubderstand can go from $80000$12000. Are there any issues what so ever with a grey market G if it is properly federalized?

Thanks
Mark[?]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
inkblotz - 4/17/2005 12:05 AM

Thank you very much for the heads up. The one I was looking at was from a used car dealer and they had no paperwork at all. So I may just need to let this one go. Or the other option is to buy it and have it federalized which I ubderstand can go from $80000$12000. Are there any issues what so ever with a grey market G if it is properly federalized?

Thanks
Mark[?]
If you get the VIN, there's a number at USDOT you can call to see if it is Federalized. If it has not been, and if it's a 460 series, it cannot be legally Federalized because it has never been crash tested.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand that philosophy. How could Europa have brought all those W460 into the US all those years if the crash wortheness was at issue? Did the regs change recently?

thanks
Mark[:)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
inkblotz - 4/17/2005 8:23 AM

I don't understand that philosophy. How could Europa have brought all those W460 into the US all those years if the crash wortheness was at issue? Did the regs change recently?

thanks
Mark[:)]
The regs changed in 1985 or 1986. Everything that had been inmported and Federalized prior to then was "grandfathered". After that date, no legal 460's; although some have come in under the table.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Clubgwagen.com DOT Page

inkblotz - 4/15/2005 3:39 PM

Let me know

Thanks
Mark, Have you checked out the clubgwagen. com page on DOT requirements? Here's the link:

http://www.clubgwagen.com/classifieds/dot.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts