Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1985 380SE with mileage as indicated in my avatar:

The rear springs, pads, subframe bushings, differential mount and shocks (Bilstein Heavy Duty) were changed before the car was put away for the winter.

At the time the work was done, the shop said the front shocks had about 30K miles on them. They said they rarely replaced the front springs.

Currently, the car feels very strange while cornering due to the rear suspension being so much stiffer than the front.

Should I just replace the front shocks, or should I replace the front shocks, front springs, and front spring pads to get the desired drive line characteristics this car should have?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Are the front shocks comforts? If so, HD's in the front and comforts in the rear will make things feel Odd.

126's are considerably harder on rear springs then fronts IME.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't touched the front end yet on that car. Because the car is handling a bit 'nervously' currently, I want to switch the front shocks out, at least.

I think it was you, Jonathan, that mentioned that I should probably change both the front shocks AND the springs since I changed rear shocks and springs and assorted items in the rear...

The front springs show no considerable sign of wear, but I now that spring fatigue can set in... in which case, I thought I might need to have the front springs changed as well as the shocks. The shocks will be replaced with the Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks, so that all four corners will be 'shocked' if not sprung the same.

Since I know a little about the theoretics on these cars (fluid servicing, things that are known to wear, etc.), but not enough about the actual (failure rates and times of various components) I get into the trap of asking too much of the current shop, and finding myself in disagreement about some things because, perhaps, I don't know enough... I find myself asking the quasi-technical questions on this forum, then working the info into my run-down with the shop guys... It's difficult to know what's really right or wrong. The trap is wanting things to run as they should, while not needlessly throwing parts at problems, or having systems break down due to inadequate maintenance/not replacing ancillary parts. It's so difficult, considering all the hacks out there that work on these cars without a clue (NOT my current shop at all, but many of the rest).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts