Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please post a picture of what the rear brake pads should look like? You don't have to take the wheel off. I just would like to know if my brake pads are worn down too far. I keep getting a squealing noise, but ONLY in reverse. I don't know what this means. (?) :confused:

P.S. In the front brakes I can see the brake pad, but in the rear I cannot. I don't know if this is right or wrong. I am still new to Mercedes design.:surrender:

Please help me out if you know anything!

-Zack

·
Registered
102 Posts
Could be your parking break shoes, you would have to remove the rear tires, and roter to check.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
That is actually a fairly common issue and not indicative of pads that need to be replaced. If the pads were worn out it would make really ugly noises and not just in reverse.

Below is a picture of the rear brakes for your car. (Click to enlarge.) You could remove the caliper pin and slide out the pads, clean the backs and put more/new brake paste on them as it is a noise absorber. But it may not last long. If the pads are well-worn you could also replace them, they're pretty easy to do and inexpensive enough on-line.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply you guys!

If the pads and shoes were good how long would the paste work?

-Zack

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not had my CLK200K long and this week the brakes started squealing really loud. Had the front rotors and pads changed and all pads treated with a new type of anti squeal ceramic spray. Really good, it lasted for about 20 minutes before they started squealing again. Its going back in tomorrow for another try

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply you guys!

If the pads and shoes were good how long would the paste work?

-Zack
The paste absorbs harmonics, and part of the problem is that the pads wear at a slight "bevel" if you will to the rotor, so when you back up the alignment is all wrong. If you live in a humid area and/or do a lot of short-trip driving, the pads also become contaminated with rust, road grime, etc. which can contribute to noise. And various different pad compounds are more susceptible to causing noise, so there are a host of variables. (OEM pads are usually the least noisy, but the most dirty.)

So if the ONLY time you hear any noise from the pads is backing up, cleaning the backs of the pads and applying the paste (little packets are a couple bucks online, one pack per wheel/pair of pads) should buy you quite a bit of time if you're on OEM pads.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg, I believe you are correct with this hypothesis. I live in Kentucky and do short trips to and from college. 3 miles to campus to be exact and I average under 30 miles driven everyday. On top of that, I clean my car around 2 times a week. I think you are correct. I don't think I will worry about it. It doesn't do it if I haven't hosed it down or got it wet for a week, so I bet this is the case. Thank you for contributing some ideas!

-Zack

·
2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Previously 2002 CLK320, 1995 C220, 1980 300SD TurboDiesel)
2,670 Posts
Sorry to ask here but "gregs210 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her." :(

Greg - where did you get that schematic?

I just ordered three dvds that are supposed to have every manual ever for any MBZ from 1960-2006 - but I went through hell trying to find a simple diagram like that before ordering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts