Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gather from numerous threads that the pre 84, 380sel has timing chain issues. Single vs double. I am still unclear if it is all pre 84 cars, or only the US version.
The Russians say that the one I have was made in Germany (WDB126033--), for sale in Japan. It is a LHD, "Taxi Version", whatever that means. Engine number starts with 116 963. The car drives well with 218000km on the clock. Do I have the dreaded single chain??? :confused:

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,271 Posts
Welcome. Please make sure to re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page. Have a look at the DIY threads as well.
It explains how to search topics, complete your profile with a location and car mod (makes it easier for members to offer advice), and even has a link to the Russian MB club, with an exploded parts viewer, and a box to run VIN #'s.
The searchbox accepts two words.

Attachments

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
Take the rocker covers off and have a look, it sounds like you have have an import, who knows what has been done to it, especially if it was taxi configured?

There are quite a few WA, AUS members on here who may help you in the long run...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey im from WA, if you see me driving give me a wave, im the young guy in the white SEC. If your from SOR the guys at Pace auto's are good down in cannington/maddington. Euro car parts in cannington seem to overcharge but they have good stuff..

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, its a Jap import, with a good service history and reciepts. Many $ spent by PO.
I ran it through the russian site, the engine and chassis are original. The option codes not found were 668 and 932.
Ross and Jay thanks for the heads up, I'll check prices on the gaskets and take a peek.
May not be for a while as the in-laws arrive soon.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping that there was a way of finding out without removing the covers. I seem to recall a thread, not sure which, that stated that the early Jap models also had the single chain. This taxi configuration thing is also a nag?

·
Registered
267 Posts
could be. The Japanese cars were very similar to the US cars in many ways, and this could be one of them. If yoiu havent been under the valve cover, it wouldnt be a bad idea to get under the right side cover (fairly easy, and not much in the way and take a look. You could see the general state of the chain rails, and measure the timing chain stretch, and see about the timing chain issue. Charlie

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that this may actually be a euroasian american. Euro lights and bumbers. Exhaust crosses behind engine from left to right bank then to ? cat, then another cat then 2 mufflers/silencers. Really strangling the car. This will soon change though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts