Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CL 500
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is not a FAQ... if so, my apologies.

I am interested in fitting some new wheels on my 2000 CL 500 and need information on the care and feeding of chrome wheels. Currently, my car has the non-chrome AMG 5-stars, but its time to add a little hotness.

I live in Seattle where it rains a lot and often. If I know that Is it safe for me to get chrome wheels (good ones) even if I know that I am not going to be washing my car every few days? Will the rain and days worth of brake dust (etc) cause the wheels to corrode (etc)? Will they only last for a couple of years? I am assuming that aluminum alloy wheels have far less concerns. Is this true? What about getting wheels polished? I hear that removes the protecting coating that was placed on the wheels which exposes the wheel to the elements. Is that true? Are there any good sites that provide information about the things that I am asking here?

Thanks

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
chrome can withstand weather related issues better than polished wheels but not quite as...

chrome can withstand weather related issues better than polished wheels but not quite as well as pianted wheels ... I see no problems so long as you get a good quality wheel and take good care of it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts