Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 C 300 4 Matic, 2005 CLK320 convertible
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 2007 C230 Sport and noticed a vibration in the front tires. I was told that all of the tires did that at at first because of the narrow sidewall. Is this a common problem? Big Science (BS)? Tire Brand dependent? I didn't really care for this feature. After many years driving BMWs without experiencing this kind of a problem, I'm a bit concerned. Since I am thinking about buying one of these cars, any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor
50 Posts
Never noticed any flatspotting on my C230, but I have experienced it on other vehicles that I've had to let sit for over a month. I can't seem to let my C230 rest for more than a week or so.

Tire Rack has a tech article on it, reachable by googling the article title:

"Tire Tech Information - Tire Flatspotting"

I tried pasting in the URL, but it results in redirection to autoguide.com.

A couple of excerpts:

"Flatspotting can be temporary (the tire will round out as driving warms it up) or in the most severe cases, permanent (in which the tire's memory effectively destroys its ride quality). A flatspot's severity is often a function of the tire size, internal structure, load, ambient temperature and time."

"The tread compounds and firm, nylon reinforced internal constructions used on high performance and high speed rated tires are more susceptible to flatspotting."

·
Registered
2000 E320 4Matic 2003 CLK55 AMG 2001 E320 4Matic 2008 ML350
101 Posts
Flat spotting is a tire problem not a car problem. This happens to cars that have sat for awhile without being moved. If your going to park your car for an extended time then air up the tires to max pressure. After a good drive the tires should round out again. The c230 you test drove I'd say has sat at the dealers lot a long while.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
This also depends on the tires. I put Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires on mine and they rumble a bit until warm. I had the same problems with the Michelins on my BMW. The harder the compound used in the tires the longer they last, but it can make them noisier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts