Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime i start the car in the morning it shifts hard and at a high rpm until it warms like 5 minutes later. Anyone else had this problem. My two automatic Audi's never had this problem so wondering if its just a Benz thing. BTW Im new to the forum but have to car since new. Sorry if this is a noob question:)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Everytime i start the car in the morning it shifts hard and at a hight rpm until it warms like 5 minutes later. Anyone else had this problem. My two older automatic Audi's never had this problem so wondering if its a Benz thing. Im new to the forum but have to car since new.
Its not a problem, this has been discussed before. I think the purpose was to warm up the engine and trans quicker to prevent damage from cold temps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not a problem, this has been discussed before. I think the purpose was to warm up the engine and trans quicker to prevent damage from cold temps.
Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it was something like that.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Warms up the engine and transmission faster as mentioned above and it also warms up the catalytic converters faster.

·
Premium Member
16,758 Posts
Warms up the engine and transmission faster as mentioned above and it also warms up the catalytic converters faster.
Actually, during "cold starts", it is the function of the Secondary Air Injection Pump that heats up the cats, so the system can switch from open loop to closed loop as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Actually, during "cold starts", it is the function of the Secondary Air Injection Pump that heats up the cats, so the system can switch from open loop to closed loop as quickly as possible.

:dunno: I have no idea what any of it means anyway. :surrender:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheres that from the manual? I understand it as the Engine Computer communicates with the Transmission computer so it can reduce initial torque to the wheels and change shift points during warm up.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's a feature, not a bug <g>. It was designed to do this. It gives a faster warm-up at the cost of rugged-feeling shifting.

·
Premium Member
16,758 Posts

:dunno: I have no idea what any of it means anyway. :surrender:
Yes this information is correct to some extent, but it is the ECU that commands the Air Pump to operate. I'm completely in the dark about the ETC having anything to do with heating up the cats. Don't worry, I don't know what it means either. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Where's Wolfgang when you need him!? :)

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
I don't know about shifting hard. Mine doesn't shift hard during the warm-up period. How hard is hard shifting? BTW, all trannies are lazy when cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts