Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, came up with nothing.

Thinking about the class action against MBZ due to the AMG 6.2L soft cast iron cams wearing out. At 67K maybe it's time to replace them.

I had a heavily modified C5 Corvette, and a head/cam swap really woke those cars up. Maybe head/cam swaps or at the least cam swaps exist for xx63s?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Unlikely that replacement cams would do much for an already highly tuned engine such as the AMG 6.2L unless a whole host of additional mods were done at the same time. $$$!

Jeez, why is half of America's solution to any problem to try and drum up a class action lawsuit? You'll lose. Save yourself the effort and heartbreak.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen claims of 30hp gains for ML63 headers and up to 40hp for a complete exhaust. With the 6.2L making 503hp you should be able to feel mods over 5% (+25hp). A matched head and cam set with no other mods typically gain 50-100hp on a 6.0L 400hp Chevy LS2 motor.

The cams apparently wear fast, which would justify replacement. Maybe heads and cam only gains 25-50hp on an AMG motor, and maybe cam only gains 25hp.

Assuming all the parts work as a system, and rounding numbers, say exhaust gains 20hp, cam gains 20hp, a tune gains 20hp, a smaller crank pulley gains 10hp, K&N air filters maybe 5hp, the combined mods would add power you can feel.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I've seen claims of 30hp gains for ML63 headers and up to 40hp for a complete exhaust. With the 6.2L making 503hp you should be able to feel mods over 5% (+25hp). A matched head and cam set with no other mods typically gain 50-100hp on a 6.0L 400hp Chevy LS2 motor.

The cams apparently wear fast, which would justify replacement. Maybe heads and cam only gains 25-50hp on an AMG motor, and maybe cam only gains 25hp.

Assuming all the parts work as a system, and rounding numbers, say exhaust gains 20hp, cam gains 20hp, a tune gains 20hp, a smaller crank pulley gains 10hp, K&N air filters maybe 5hp, the combined mods would add power you can feel.
I changed the air filter and installed custom exhaust tips and was assured I would gain 100 HP. I really feel the difference.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts