Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got my first Mercedes, a 2007 A150 Classic.

I don't have electric folding mirrors, but I did expect to be able to fold them in by hand.

There's no mention of this in the user manual, and if I lean any harder on the mirrors I may just break them off! Am I missing something? Are they in fact not moveable unless fitted with the electric option?

·
Registered
A-Class (W169)
53 Posts
I was wondering the same thing thing since I bought the car in 2005, and it seems they cannot fold. They will fold only if you push them really hard, but I think this is just protection if they are hit by other car not to break off completely - they disengage and flap around loosely....I don't know why Merc made them like that? Maybe they should have put the electrically folding mirrors as standard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
called the dealership yesterday. they said "they do fold...but you have to apply a bit of force....only not too much force or you'll break it!!...." ....that didnt really help.

i tried this morning...no luck.....was wondering if the fold at an angle???? pic would be good.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz A Class A150 2006, Volkswagen Golf 1.6 1999
12 Posts
when buying my car this was explained to me by the sales rep, "yeh it's quite tough and it's like a jigsaw puzzle". I've found the best way to fold them is to go to the very outside of the mirror apply the force, do it often enough and you develop a technique, although there's no doubt it's a very poor design feature!

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we went to order our A170 Elegance in September last year we hadn't chosen the electric folding mirrors, but were told that the non-electric were fixed and couldn't be folded; in an accident they break away but aren't designed to go back :-(

We upgraded to the electric ones!

·
Registered
W245 B150 SE
149 Posts
For the price of the option, it's definitely worth having. The only option that is relatively inexpensive that I wish I had chosen is seat heating.

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
I looked at a W169 A150 auto cruise control the lot, around Christmas time it had everything i wanted including the fin aerial and not the bit of barbed wire look alike most models have , however I have a narrow drive ,I had to widen the gates to get the w168 through, and i knew the w169 was slightly wider
So would it go through with the mirrors folded yes great no probes even the right colour?

BUT when I tried to fold the mirrors no joy and as i didn't want to be the one to break them asked the service guy, yes of course they do all mirrors fold.
However after trying fo0r some time even he decided no they didn't fold.
So what about fitting electric mirrors i asked can't be done was the answer even the instrument cluster would have to be changed. They can only be fitted from new. So would a new car be the answer? No because i understand the mirrors open when the ignition is turned on and fold when it's switched off, so I’d have to turn off the engine push the car through the gates then restart and garage it.

No thanks I still have my W168 and the mirrors fold manually
If you know better I like to hear your comments. Who in this day and age builds a car where the mirrors don’t fold Well mercedes-Benz of course and yes you got it ,they Benz & beak if you hit them while driving through narrow gaps or some idiot decides to play games while your parked up

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a W168, with electric folding mirrors. There are two options: set them so they fold and unfold automatically with the ignition, or leave them in manual mode and select fold or unfold as appropriate.

Apart from to check they work, I haven't folded or unfolded them since I got the car in October, but at least I know they can if I need them to!

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
Well that is progress anyway if you have an option, I wasn't told of the option by MB but then would they Know? after all they only sell em, or did!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having had a minor accident last week (clipped the wing mirror at 60mph owing to a poorly timed manoeuvre by another car on a narrow road) I can confirm they do NOT fold, but break away fairly unceremoniously. It took a good deal of huffing and puffing, but it re-attached successfully and to the untrained eye no damage has been done. Still think it's a poor design.

·
Registered
A class
11 Posts
manual mirrors

I've just got my first Mercedes, a 2007 A150 Classic.

I don't have electric folding mirrors, but I did expect to be able to fold them in by hand.

There's no mention of this in the user manual, and if I lean any harder on the mirrors I may just break them off! Am I missing something? Are they in fact not moveable unless fitted with the electric option?
the manual mirrors do fold i have a 56 plate A150 and i fold them each day the only problem once you have folded them is the mirror is loose and if you live on a hill like i do the mirror will fold back out into the road ready to be knocked off so i use a small piece of foam and place it in the hinge it does the trick.

·
Registered
a class 169 avantgarde , range rover lpg
20 Posts
i alsp thought they would not fold on 56 avantgarde, tried but felt like i was going to break them with the force that seemed required so give up on it, however the other day had to leave the car in a field near to my home because of the snow , next day came to car to find both mirrors dangling by the wires, seemed due to inquisitive cattle overnight convinced broken , but locked back in to place a little stiff , phew , dont like the design at all , ill thought out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there guys,

a number of you have mentioned that you have managed to get the wing mirror back on, albeit with some difficulty. I've just managed to pop my other halves mirror off on our gate post. It's in perfect condition, but I cannot get it back on. Is there knack to it? Please help as it currently just hanging off. :eek:

:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi there guys,

a number of you have mentioned that you have managed to get the wing mirror back on, albeit with some difficulty. I've just managed to pop my other halves mirror off on our gate post. It's in perfect condition, but I cannot get it back on. Is there knack to it? Please help as it currently just hanging off. :eek:

Hi, There is a clip to get them back on but its quite fiddly and you do need apply a lot of force. Very very poor design. Can't remember of the top of my head exactly how to do it, but its certainly possible as I too got back to my car once to find the mirrors hanging off loose.

·
Registered
a class 169 avantgarde , range rover lpg
20 Posts
Hi there guys,

hello . funny ,because a pheasant knocked my nearside mirror clean off again a few days ago, bird attempting to flee car , , the way i did it is put the mirror housing back in at angle with nearest side to the window , then quite a bit of force leaning on mirror to click in to place the other end , second time been off now , dont know how many times bracket will take it , hope this helps .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts